Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Lycoris

Posted by madabouteu 7b - northern Alabam (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 10, 09 at 11:22

Someone has just givem me a huge clump of Lycoris, with the foliage still attached. When should I plant them? I am in northern Alabama, on the border between zones 7 and 8, and we are already getting hard freezes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Lycoris

Plant 'em right now, with as much of the foliage and roots intact as possible. We're having our first real freeze tonight, but the ground never really freezes. They're right in the middle of their growth cycle, so they need to be in the ground asap. Be sure to water them in well, too - we sometimes forget to do that in winter, but in our zone, plants need and use water all year.

o

Lycoris often resent being dug and disturbed. I would give their planting spot considerable thought so they will not have to be moved anytime soon. I'd also suggest you not plant too many per hole, or crowd them in any way, for the same reason.

Sue

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 10, 09 at 15:09

Personally I'd pot them up in some good potting soil and wait until late spring or so to plant them. No matter how carefully you try, when plants are dug up roots are lost, and plants will be under stress just surviving the disturbance. If a really cold snap comes along it could damage them even further. If they are in a pot with a good potting mix (no fertilizer in it btw)and something radical occurs you can always move the pot into a sheltered position until the weather stabilizes again. In real time you don't plant the bulbs until the leaves have died back anyway. So waiting until spring or later is fine for planting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here