Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulb with narrow vareigated leaves

Posted by SnailPot none (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 11:49

Can someone help me identify this bulb. The leaves have a white stripe running through the center. The bulb is about the size of a small shallot about an inch in height.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulb with narrow vareigated leaves

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 13:02

Could be a lycoris.

o

Thanks dbarron. Yes it does look like lycoris radiata as shown in this image. http://botanyboy.org/wp-content/uploads/LycorisRadiataLVS.jpg

o

Colchicum has leaves like those. Some types of crocus also.

o

I've never seen Colchicum leaves like that - the ones I know are broad and floppy. A Crocus would not have a bulb. I've never seen Lycoris so I can't comment on that idea.

o

Sorry on the colchium bum steer. I had googled for foliage and that was the label. Went to the page today (as I should have done) and it's labeled crocus there. Link below. 4th picture down. Thanks Floral_uk for the catch.

True, crocus are corms, not bulbs. I've never dug one in foliage (which looks just like snailpots' foliage) to see what the corm looked like at that time.

The Lycorus I have do not have that narrow, or striped,foliage. Much wider and solid.

Snailpots, please post a pic when it blooms. Would love to know its true identity.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.imagejuicy.com/images/plants/c/colchicum/10/

o

It looks like Lycoris radiata to me. Here is a photo I just took of mine. There are some Habranthus in the same photo. The Lycoris are the ones with white stripes.

o

Yes, it's Lycoris radiata - AKA red hurricane or spider lily. When they bloom (in fall,) there is no foliage present. After the blooms finish, the foliage comes up soon after.

'Tis the season to find these bulbs in the grass, where they can survive being mowed indefinitely until 'rescued.' Once you can spot that white stripe, especially if grass is dormant, they stick out like a sore thumb. I dug up about 200 of them from an empty lot last week.

There are other species of Lycoris with flowers that are yellow (L. aurea) or pink (L. squamigera.)

Irisgal, corm is a type of bulb.

"Bulbs can be broken down into five types of storage structures. These include: true bulbs, corms, tubers, tuberous roots and rhizomes."
-http://urbanext.illinois.edu/bulbs/bulbbasics.cfm

o

Iris_gal, I will definitely post some pictures when they bloom if they bloom the coming fall. Some of these bulbs once disturbed from their original spot may or may not flower for the first year. I have to wait and see. Currently I have planted them in a 6 inch pot. I am not sure whether I should leave them without watering until spring or give an occasional drink. I looked at some crocus leaves in google images and they do look almost the same. But these 2 bulbs look a little elongated compared to the crocus bulbs shown here.

o

SnailPot - the bulbs you showed are definitely not Crocus corms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corms

o

Sure look like crocus corms to me.

o

floral_uk, I am not sure which ones you are talking about since I have two pictures. The last picture I posted (the bulbs in the blue dish) are crocus for sure since I bought them in a sealed bag with the nursery tag that said "60 plants crocus mix". The two bulbs in the first picture are most probably Lycoris radiata as many have pointed out.

o

I'm referring to the first picture which shows bulbs. I was looking at the last line of your message with the picture of the crocus corms and thought there was still some doubt in your mind because you were comparing the 2. Misunderstanding.

This post was edited by floral_uk on Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 13:45

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here