Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eaglesgarden

Iris Emergency - snow coming and iris are up...

eaglesgarden
13 years ago

Merry Christmas all!

On this Christmas morning, I looked outside my window and noticed that the iris bulbs I put in back in the middle of October are coming up, on CHRISTMAS?!?! What is going on?! Anyway, the temps are VERY cold and they seem fine, but we are due for about 4+ inches of snow tomorrow, and who knows how many more days of cold weather. I have some hay that I could put over them to try to protect them, but will they make it through to spring?

Any suggestions are welcome. What can I do for these iris, folks?

Comments (2)

• denninmi
    13 years ago

Perfectly normal. You don't say what kind of iris, whether it's bearded iris, Dutch iris, or some other kind. But, many of them do this. Generally, the foliage of most will survive the winter under snow cover or mulch. If it gets very cold, the foliage may die back to the ground, but will re-grow in the spring.

Nothing at all to worry about. If you want, you can throw some straw, oak leaves, or evergreen boughs over them for additional protection.

• eaglesgarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. They are Dutch iris. I don't really know the difference, so I didn't know it was important. :^) Thanks again... Merry Christmas!!!