Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
easter lillies

Posted by stroja62 bermuda (stroja62@hotmail.com) on
Mon, Dec 1, 08 at 13:03

i dug up some lillies yesterday that had spread under a hedge so i replanted them and the leaves are soft and drooping. if they die does that mean the bulb dies?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: easter lillies

Probably not. I have transplanted Easter lilies many times with total success. Watch them. If the foliage doesn't perk up in a few days, cut it off. You may not get blooms next year but it's highly likely they'll live and bloom the next year after that.

o

As long as the foliage is green, it is photosynthesizing and converting CO2 into sugars and starches to feed the bulbs, whether it is laying on the ground or standing upright. I would leave it, until it turns yellow, at which time it no longer serves a purpose and can be removed.

When I lived there in the mid-1950's, there were a number of growers in Hamilton Parish (near the Swizzle Inn) that grew Easter lily's and many other types, for the cut-flower market. You didn't need a Rum Swizzle, as the flower fragances were so intoxicating!
(The Swizzle Inn was left to the tourists, the residents mostly frequented the White Horse in St. George and the Brass Rail (upstairs) in Hamilton).

Good luck with your Lilys!
Rb

o

Just to clarify, razorback is absolutely right. I didn't express what I meant very well at all. Do leave the foliage until it DIES (brown).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here