Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcgrrrl1979

Zone 7A - too late for spring?

dcgrrrl1979
14 years ago

I'm an utter beginner with bulbs and gardening - just distant childhood memories. But I've just moved in to my lovely new house, after 6 years of city living, and I'm eager to enjoy my big yard.

I'd love to have crocuses (crocii?), daffodils, and tulips this spring. Is it too late? We've had a couple days with temperatures just below freezing and one snow that melted quickly, but the ground hasn't frozen yet.

Also, any beginner resources for bulbs would be appreciated!

Comments (5)

• jewelbeetle
    14 years ago

I would say to hurry and plant them! I live between DC and Baltimore and I just planted my last bulbs yesterday! Daffodils and crocuses are sure to come up! Our weather is always kind of fluctuating in Dec, but this one is kind of colder than usual it seems. I would plant them, you have a good chance of having a pretty yard in late winter. The worst that can happen would be waiting another year. Watch out for squirrels, be sure to use some chicken wire on top so they wont dig & eat them. Good luck!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Also, any beginner resources for bulbs would be appreciated!
    If there are any big box stores close to you, (Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards, etc) I'd check those out for hopefully some reduced priced Daffodils, or Hyacinths, or muscari (grape hyacinth), or crocuses. I would not recommend any tulips from the big box stores as most varieties sold that way are not the perennial ones.

Some of the on-line sources have quit shipping for the season. The link below appears to still be shipping and even has a 'mix' on sale.

Earlier in the season I would have recommended Brent and Becky's or Buggy Crazy for on line bulbs.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Bourgondien

• brit5467
    14 years ago

I'm fairly new with bulbs too. I just planted quite a few tulips along with some other bulbs back in mid-November that I got from Holland Bulb Farms. Would you believe some of the tulips are already coming up??!! I can tell by the leaves. Some as tall as 2"!! We had a frost last night and the birdbath even froze, yet they look happy as can be. I'm worried they'll keep growing, then freeze and won't bloom next year.

I'm going to do a separate post asking about this, but thought it might be relevant here.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    14 years ago

Go ahead and give it a try. I would try the box stores and I would think they should be at least 25+% off since it is late in the season and quality might be a little so-so. daffs, tulips, hyacinths should be fine -you might want to stay away from the crocus and other small bulbs since IMO they have more trouble sitting around in the stores so long out of the ground and then recovering.

I'm not a fan of van bourgondien by the way.

• e36yellowm3
    14 years ago

I think the rule is "if you can dig you can plant bulbs"!! Give it a try. Especially if you score some discount bulbs. Congrats on the new house - enjoy!
    Alana

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz