Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Ode for the bulbs already planted.

After waking up this morning to 3 inches of wet sloppy snow, more expected, driving winds and a sharp temperature drop; I penned this little ditty:

Sung to the tune of "We Wish You a Merry ChristmasÂ."

"So HAPPY to have the bulbs in,

So HAPPY to have the bulbs in,

And NO MORE this year!

Good tidings to ye, oh tulips tucked in,

Good tidings, fair daffodils, and crocuses dear!

Oh, bring us the blossoms next spring,

Oh, bring us the blossoms next spring,

Oh, bring us the blossoms next spring, and lots of them here.

We won't do this until next year,

We won't do this until next year,

We won't do this until next year, so gone are the tears.

Repeat refrain (rousingly):

IÂmÂ..

And NO MORE this year!

Lah, lah, lah, la LA,

Lah, lah, lah, la LAÂÂ"

And the sounds of humming drift off into the distanceÂ..

Comments (12)

• paddlehikeva
    14 years ago

I can now sing along with this tune. My bulbs are planted! Cold weather is on the way. Come on SPRING!

Kathy

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

Bah, humbug! In my climate we're planting bulbs off and on through March--lilies this month, glads next month, Bletilla the month after, etc.

On the other hand, digging is no big chore in this weather. I'm just glad that I don't have to plant bulbs in July!

Sing on!!
    Kevin : ])

• stanc
    14 years ago

We wish you warm weather.
    We wish you warm weather.
    We wish you warm weather,I planted 500 bulbs this Year!!!

Stanc

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    14 years ago

You guys are awful.

While its nice to have an ode to the planted ones, don't forget the poor little ones still sitting around in bags and boxes. I have a couple and I know there are others out there!

Good job Stanc! Was 500 a one year deal or is it the start of an addiction? You came to the wrong place if you're planning on cutting back and need support to do it!

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

God rest ye merry monocots,
    let your roots grow real long.
    Spread your foliage everywhere,
    so blooming won't go wrong.
    Save them from all frost heaving power,
    so spring can bring a song!

O tidings of blossom and bloom!
    Blossom and bloom!
    O tidings of blossom and bloom!

Happy holidays!
    Kevin *])>

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

You guys are awful.

While its nice to have an ode to the planted ones, don't forget the poor little ones still sitting around in bags and boxes. I have a couple and I know there are others out there!

Thanks Kato. Were you maybe thinking of me? I'm pulling a linnea56 this year for a change.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm pulling a linnea56 this year for a change.

Hey!

• paddlehikeva
    14 years ago

You people are so very clever.

I have been thinking about you Sue. I am hoping you will be able to join in on the next chorus. I have to admit the green-eyed monster reared its head when I saw linnea56 post and mumbled a muted bah-humbug. But I started humming along as I put the last 50 or so in the ground. Once I came back inside after planting the last of my bulbs, I was really belting it out.

To be honest, I am starting to go through withdrawal. I still have some shrubs in pots to sink into a pile of mulch and the greenhouse to get winter ready, but I miss bulb planting already. Even tho:

The weather outside is frightful
    But B&B sale is so delightful
    I want to see the bulb's bling,
    come on spring! come on spring! come on spring!

Kathy

• scully931
    14 years ago

I put all mine in the fridge
    Then learned I did it wrong.

:-/

• brit5467
    14 years ago

Kato, have you been spying on me??? hee hee !! I, too, have half mine planted, the other half still in boxes and bags, just like you said. All total, probably 200 of those poor little guys just begging to get out of jail and into the ground. But it won't stop raining. And now we're getting some nice weather for a few days. But of course, NOW I have the flu !!! UGH !! It's horrible.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    14 years ago

I didn't realize there was so much talent here! Anyone thinking about quitting their day jobs? heh heh -I'd hold off for a little while :)

yes I have been spying on the bulb planters out there. I've got a list and I'm checking it twice to find out who's been planting nice. I know who's been sleeping!

Get those bulbs in! I was out in the blowing snow yesterday evening popping my B&B bulbs into a shallow grave (I hope not!) along the foundation where they should stay warm for a little longer and have a chance to put some roots down. Just in case, I saved a bulb or three from each bag to pot up inside and give a little more attention and care.... but based on my track record these might be the unlucky ones..... we'll see.

Get rid of that flu! The bulbs will just have to wait.... a healthy person out there doing silly things in the cold is one thing (and some of us...me!...brought it onto ourselves) but a sick person really needs their rest. The bulbs will be fine waiting. Get well soon!

• vetivert8
    14 years ago

Meantime, in the Antipodes, some of us are out lifting bulbs for storing over summer...

We wish you a happy spring time
    Whenever it comes.

And, for all the bulb forcers - may your homes be scented delightfully, despite the weather.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer