Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djkj_gw

Tulip and Daffodil bulbs from Walmart/Home Depot

djkj
15 years ago

I picked up a few dozen tulip, hyacinth and daffodil bulbs from Home Depot. The planting time was mentioned as December for my area (9a). The packet does not mention about refrigerating it. So I just planted them as is about 4-6 inches deep, with bone meal and lots of compost. I hope these bulbs have already been 'cooled'? Do I need to be worried?

Comments (9)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

I have purchased tulips several times from home depot but have always chilled them myself. I have never bought them this late as no time is left for chilling. My experience with tulips not chilled is very short plants with 25% blooming, but right at ground level with no stems, the rest not blooming at all. Al

• Donna
    15 years ago

Even if the bulbs had been cooled, which they weren't, the effects of chilling are lost unless the bulb is immediately planted. The hyacinths need chill time too (8 to 10 weeks). The good news is the daffodils should be alright as long as the bulbs were still firm. They may or may not bloom next spring, but if you leave the foliage standing until it turns brown, they should return and bloom for you the next year.

• token28001
    15 years ago

I bought tulips and daffs from Lowe's last November. I got them in the ground in early January. Some bloomed. Some didn't. I expect them to be much nicer this year. I just finished my morning stroll, and I have a couple tulips and many daffs already poking through the ground. I'd say give it a shot. Worse case, you get some foliage but no blooms. I never cut mine down since they usually die back pretty early on and are in a more natural setting.

• snasxs
    15 years ago

No, you do not need to worry about anything.

This year, I also bought Darwin Tulips and Hyacinth etc from WM. I planted them in pots in September.

Yesterday, I removed some surface soil to check. 3 of the 12 tulip bulbs rotted. I remember that I did water a bit more for that pot. The others have 1 inch shoots.

All 6 Hyacinth are doing great. They have reached to just below the soil surface.

They are really cheap, like $4 a bag.

• mchad21
    15 years ago

I always thought that for my zone, tulips, hyacinth and crocus from HD or Costco were the absolute best deal. I found no difference between them and the higher prices bulbs at my local nursery. Since we treat them as annuals, it is a lot easier and cheaper to go that route.

• jardinerowa
    11 years ago

I just went to Walmart and they don't have any bulbs for sale! Here it's the middle part of Sept already. Will they come later? Thanks.
    Z

• mzdee
    11 years ago

Bulbs are just showing up here in the MD area. I bought two bags of tulips and one bag of iris today. Pretty cheap by comparison to all of the mail order sources. I guess Maryland loves tulips. I'm not a great gardener but my tulips return every year, no fail yet. They are truly set and forget it type planting. I got Queen of the Nile from Lowes.Will be planting them with a spoonful of blood meal because last time I planted that variety the squirrels treated them like snicker bars.

• Yvonne Hoffmann
    3 years ago

Where do I buy them

• Yvonne Hoffmann
    3 years ago

And also are they selling them right now