Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Allium Raspberry & Cream ?

Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 13:29

I just purchased 5 bags of allium from Lowes - end of season discount - 75% off. I couldn't resist. Yesterday I bought healthy looking A. 'Gladiator' there for $2 each for bags of 3.

Today's allium were $1.75 each for bags of 10 which are labeled: Allium Raspberry & Cream. The photo on the bags (linked, I hope) have two different varieties of allium. Nowhere on the bag or in the enclosed plastic label does it call them anything other than "Raspberry cream." Any thoughts on what these two allium might be? I'm happy to have them, regardless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Allium 'Rasberry & Cream'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Allium Raspberry & Cream ?

Hi Carrie, it's these - in the link

I planted these 2 autumns ago but the maroon ones - atropurpureum - didn't lastt beyond the first season . The whites are probably A. stipitatum - which are more vigorous

Here is a link that might be useful: alllium

o

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 22:43

Thank you, Paula. My experience with the ornamental alliums here is that most of them last a year or so and then peter out. It'll be fun to see them this spring, and they were cheap enough that I'll be happy with whatever I get. Thanks again.

o

If you want some vigorous Alliums, try 'Globemaster', 'Purple Sensation', 'Ivory Queen'(a short one)or A. Sphaerocephalon. 'Globemaster' does not seed itself because it is a hybrid of two different species, but the others all seed around a little too much in my garden. Of all these, 'Globemaster' is my favourite.

o

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 10:12

Thanks, ontnative - I have quite a few Purple Sensation & I love them. The "Raspberry & Cream" mix (and the 'Gladiator') were on such clearance that I couldn't resist giving them a try - even if they turn out to be annual in my garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here