Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I still plant Daffodils?

Posted by coach_grumpy 6a ID (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 19, 11 at 13:33

Is it too late to plant Daffodils? My ground is covered with a 6 inch thick layer of mulch and compost. Daytime highs in mid-upper 30's, lows in upper teens and low 20's

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I still plant Daffodils?

Sure...so long as the ground is thawed under the mulch, which I suspect it is.

I still have a few I need to sneak into the ground here in my zone 5b/6a, but am fortunate to be having some very mild temperatures here for this time of the year. It's 52 right now and is to be in the 50s the next 2 days before dropping off into the 40s. No freezing temps on the horizon until Fri night and then it is only to be 29 degrees.

Sue...heading back out for more fall clean-up

o

Thanks, I'll get out there tomorrow and give them a go. This is my first attempt at bulbs.

o

They might come up funny the first year (the flowers might bloom from 3-inch stems just above the ground) because of how late it is - they won't be able to grow their fall roots so it will be too dry for the cells to elongate properly - but they'll return the next year and look like normal daffodils.

o

I'm still planting daffodils and will continue until they are all planted. Several hundred bulbs already planted and about 200 left to plant. These are all bulbs I dug earlier this year.

o

I planted several hundred bulbs yesterday, 660 more to go. It's been very warm here this winter, and some of the bulbs have already sprouted that were planted in October. I hope to get the rest done by next weekend, and hope for some colder weather this winter. Thank goodness I decided to pre-chill this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here