Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jewelbeetle

Free Bulbs from Blooming Bulb!

jewelbeetle
14 years ago

Yay! Blooming bulb has sent along with my last 2 orders, 6 free mini armarillis and they are already an inch tall! I never got any free ones from Brent & Beckys. Has any one else ever been so lucky?

Comments (16)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    14 years ago

Good for you, I would be real happy with a few spare amaryllis!
    I've received free extras from blooming bulb as well, but never B&B. A couple places out there tell you ahead of time what you get for free with your order, but I always seem to think the freebies they list are kind of one step away from weeds and are oftentimes not even offered for sale in their catalogs. Usually they are refered to as "peacock flowers" or "persian stars" or some other nonsense name that again is code for plant-garbage.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

is code for plant-garbage

What???

I was not familiar with Mini Amaryllis but see according to the link below there are several different cultivars.

I grew the full sized Amaryllis one year, and they bloomed nicely for me the first year, but never again. I think I didn't care for them properly.

Brent and Becky might not give freebies, but you can count on them to have a very nice selection, nice bulbs, as well as what they send being named correctly, unlike some other on-line places. They also have nicely reduced prices as e it gets later in the season....but alas, their on line bulb sale is over for the year.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Mini Amaryllis

• jewelbeetle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brent & Beckys is the only place I have ever ordered from for 7 years straight, this year I wanted a certain lily and it sold out before they even went 25 percent, I was leery because I had never tried another company, but I went to garden watchdog and looked at a few sites and found my lily at Blooming Bulb, I was shocked at the freebies, I never heard of mini armarillis before. I was short a bletellia and a martagon lily from Brent and Beckys and never once in seven years did I get any freebie. But WOW I just love looking at their beautiful catalogs all winter long.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    14 years ago

"is code for plant-garbage"

-by plant garbage I mean things that if they grew on their own in your garden you would rip them out as weeds.... OR let me put it this way:
    One of my earliest bulb orders was from Michigan bulb. The free gift I got with my order was a generous bag of 'star of bethlehem'

I would be thrilled to get mini amaryllis by the way. My last order from them included chiondoxa and allium molly, both of which I was very pleased to get.

• e36yellowm3
    14 years ago

Jewelbeetle, I bought some "mini-Amaryllis" from Blooming Bulb a few months ago. I think they must be cleaning out their misc. stock. The minis are small Hadeco brand amaryllis (hippis) from South Africa. They're all really beautiful! Did they tell you what type they sent? If not, post a pic on the hippi forum and folks can help ID it. I'm sure you're going to love them - or use them for a great trade.
    Alana

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I got my order from them with a couple bonus mini amaryllis. I would rather have had something I could easily plant outside, but they will be lovely in a couple of weeks. I may plant them outside in the spring & hope they overwinter outside. I know, doubtful, but I have several amaryllis that overwinter & bloom in the summer, so I'll give it a try.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Hi Ngraham!

Maybe you could grow them this winter and then trade them to kato_b, since he said he would be thrilled to get mini amryllis. I'll bet he 'might' have some daffs next year to trade away for them.

What kinds of amaryllis do you have that overwinter and bloom in the summer, anyway?

Sue

• susie-nc
    14 years ago

I got some of the free mini amaryllis when i ordered from them.I noticed today they have buds on them,i cant wait to see what trash bulbs bloom like........

• jewelbeetle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Alana--They did not tell me what they sent. But they are now 6 inches tall and I cant wait to see what color they are. I am really hoping for some red and white stripey ones. Three are just still an inch tall, I hope they hurry and catch up with the other ones.
    Ngraham--do you have amaryllis that are outside and bloom in the summer? or did I read you wrong, I planted an Amarcrinum outside and hope to see it bloom this summer! Right now its under two feet of snow!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    14 years ago

Hey! wait a minute.... I never said amaryllis were trash-bulbs! oh never mind.

I've heard the st. Joseph lily (hippeastrum Johnsonii?) is one of the hardiest ones. Some places say hardy to zone 7, but I've killed them there... not to say it wouldn't be worth a couple more tries! I've had my amaryllis bulbs survive a couple serious frosts when I've forgotten to take them in. The only damage I've ever seen has been to and soft new growth that was coming up at the time.

Wow. 18+ a bulb for these!

Here is a link that might be useful: expensive little bulbs

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

I've never heard of mini amaryllis. Could you post a pic when they bloom?

• elleni
    14 years ago

Here's mine. The third bulb had not opened yet.

{{gwi:32519}}

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

Nice! How tall are they compared to regular ones?

• elleni
    14 years ago

I'll have to measure, but they were at least 14-16" tall. I've never had a regular on before this year and it is just now coming up.

• luv_2_gardn
    14 years ago

Hi Jewelbeetle, All,

Thank you for the lead -- I just ordered phlox and canna from Blooming Bulb; 30% off with free shipping! A really good deal! Thanks again.

Take care,
    Luv_2_gardn

• Nancy
    14 years ago

Sorry I haven't checked back on this thread in a while. I had mentioned that I have some amaryllis that return & bloom in summer. They are the regular amaryllis you get at Christmas. I have a couple planted close to the house & they have come back the last few years. I've planted several in different places one year when I got tired of taking care of them. Lost one where the ground tends to be more moist, lost another that came up in the spring, but got lots of heavy spring rain & it rotted. I guess the other 2 were just lucky in their placement. Not sure exactly when they bloom, I think June. I know they are late coming up. I doubt they return this year though, weather got below 0 a couple of times & have had below 10 degrees several times this winter. I'll let you know if they do survive :)