Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
container bulbs have foliage now!

Posted by greengreen 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 14:50

hello, i was given two nursery pots gruffly crammed with crocosmia croms.
at that point, the flowers were gone & the foliage was dying off. i think that was later in the summer i guess.
my gardener friend, who gave them to me told me to water them when they got dry. i did and had been waiting
to plant them in the fall but they grew another round of foliage & they are still (now, end of december*) looking lush and full.
the greenery doesn't seem to be dying back & i want to put them in the ground. it hasn't been too cold here in portland, oregon-
so i figure it's not too late to plant bulbs here (?) but i'm concerned because they have happy foliage i don't want to mess with them.
what should i do?
additional info: according to wikipedia
"They can be evergreen or deciduous perennials that grow from basal underground corms."
do i just have the evergreen kind? i didn't think they were.

please help! thank you

This post was edited by greengreen on Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 16:07

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: container bulbs have foliage now!

Have the pots been inside or outside? If they are outside, I cannot imagine that it would hurt one thing to go ahead and plant them. If inside, I might wait until spring to plant in the ground.

o
RE: container bulbs have foliage now!

They never really die down completely in my climate. They are not like daffodils or tulips. I would just plant them out now. They are very hard to kill, even if you want to. But before hand I'd check if they are invasive in your area. The fact that someone was giving away large numbers might be a clue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here