Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Is late Nov./ early Dec. the best time to buy bulbs?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

I was initially going to buy bulbs from a John Scheepers catalog we got in on Sept 15. But, they werent shipping til mid Oct., so I held off.

Then I went into Lowes one day in Mid October, and I saw the same variety of Daffodils(Delnashaugh) I was going to buy from Scheeper's. Only Scheepers wanted like $12 for 10 bulbs, and Lowes had them for $7.95 for 15! That means that at Scheeper's prices, the cost for 15 would've been $18, which is much more than double the price at Lowes.

So I bought them, but I procrastinated and didnt try to buy the other fall bulbs I wanted til yesterday(Dec 3rd). At that time, I went online and found that Holland bulb Farms had a clearance sale, and I bought several double and fancy tulips, Alliums, etc. for 1/2 the regular price! Plus, I found an extra coupon code that dropped the price another $3.50....

So, maybe it's best to wait til now to buy these bulbs, or else I might have paid 2 times as much or more!

I had initially worried about it being too late to plant them, but the temperature around here has been unusually warm for the last 5-6 weeks, and we've only had 1-2 minor frosts so far! It's been in the mid 50's and 60's until 3 days ago, when the high dropped down to 49 degrees. The low temps have been in the high 30's to low 50's as well, so even if I would've planted any bulbs before now, they would've been fairly warm anyway......

Comment (1)