Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suet cages

Posted by pippi21 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 25, 10 at 15:11

While cleaning and trying to organize our son's garage better this summer on one of our visits; I saw he had about 3 or 4 suet cages laying around on a workbench. A light went off in my head; could they be used for bulb cages to keep the critters from digging and eating the Spring bulbs? It looked like the wire is about 1 inch square, although I didn't measure it. I'm thinking for the larger bulbs, why not? It could be planted the depth you normally would plant the bulbs..When at Walmart yesterday, I came upon another one and I mentioned it to my husband which wasn't interested in my idea at that time. Think about it and give me your opinion or if you happen to have a suet cage, measure the wire squares on it and post your thoughts here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suet cages

Aren't these narrow in width?

The pocket gophers here have tunnels that are just over an inch in diameter so I have to use a smaller mesh than I've seen on suet cages.

o

i don't know about little critters, but I put down coated wire over my veggies and summer flowers and my dogs did not dig at all. The dark green coaked wire worked beautifully. But then again, they go from the top down.

Also, I did not see any squirrels digging either. Could have missed them, but havent seen any evidence that they are planting pecans through the wire.

c

c

o

I think that would be an expensive solution.

o

helenh is right, too expensive and the squares are too large. The critters will use their feet to manipulate the bulb closer to the squares in order to eat more. Something I've found that worked well for me over the years is pepper. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of ground pepper around the bulb and mix some in the soil. For longer lasting results, put some pepper corns around the bulb. Tabasco works when putting it on the bulb direct (if you like spicy foods, might taste ok but doesn't last long. There are some commercial squirrel repellents that have an extremely hot and spicy taste that also work very well, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here