Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forcing bulbs: best varieties link and instructions

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 10, 09 at 15:57

For those who want info: I found this link

There is a lot of detail there. I can tell I have already violated half the instructions with the ones I potted up a week or two ago, but, oh, well, Ill just see what happens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forcing bulbs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forcing bulbs: best varieties link and instructions

Looks good linnea56! Now I just have to cadge the printer at work.

Kevin : )

o

Hmm... I too violated many rules. For instance, most of mine weren't potted before putting them in the refrigerator. I just stuck them in a paper bag.

Think I should take them out and pot them up?

See... if I remember correctly, I did the paper bag thing last year and it worked beautifully. Hmm.

o

This is a good article, but was written in 1993, so varieties of bulbs are not necessarily the most common ones seen today. Just a FYI. If you do a "google" search on forcing bulbs, there are many articles on how to do it, giving slightly different advice. The main thing is to buy suitable bulbs and try it for yourself. You'll be really happy to have those potted flower bulbs in the winter to enjoy. When you buy bulbs to plant outdoors in the fall, buy some extras to force. After forcing them indoors, I plant all my bulbs except for the paperwhites outdoors in my garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here