Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to co, help on bulbs

Posted by bbianca COLORADO SPRINGS (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 15, 09 at 15:58

dear gardeners:

i am new to colorado springs. i want to plant bulbs, tulips, peonies, etc. can you tell me when i should be planting what?

thanks.

bianca

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to co, help on bulbs

Hi bbianca,

Welcome to The Bulb Forum.

Your question covers a good bit so I will start and hopefully others will add more.

Peonies are actually tubers, as opposed to being bulbs. They are best planted in the fall, though they can also be planted in the spring.

Here is a good link that explains a lot about planting and growing peonies. How to Grow Peonies The most important thing to remember is that they need sun, well drained soil, and should not be planted too deeply.

Typically Spring blooming bulbs such as tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, grape hyacinths (muscari), crocus, etc are bought and planted in the fall after the soil temperatures have cooled down into the fifties. I would think that in your area, it would probably be too late to plant any bulbs, that is 'if' you could even find any this late.

Some tulips are a lot more perennial than others. Most of the cheaper ones sold in the big box stores, will give you one spring of pretty blooms, but will likely disappoint you in the years to come.

You can either buy spring blooming bulbs in the big box stores, if you just starting out and not collecting or sure of what you might like, or else you can order from numerous places on line, that have nice bulbs and good reputations. I'd suggest Brent and Becky's Bulbs and Buggy Crazy for 2 sources that I have been extremely pleased with.

Sue...an admitted daff addict

There is also a Peony Forum you might want to check out for additional info.

o
RE: new to co, help on bulbs

Hi bbianca

Very strongly recommend you visit with the Rocky Mountains forum. They are friendly, somewhat crazed in the best ways, and can give you very specific information for growing in your area and altitude.

They also run swapmeets...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here