Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linaria_z7_ch

spotted first flowering snowdrops

linaria_gw
13 years ago

Hello there,

2 days ago I saw my first flowering Galanthus, so for me the next bulb season has kind of started. OK, we are in a very warm/mild region but still I got excited and cant wait till my crocusses should follow suit in a very few weeks.

Tonight though everything got covered by a really blizzardlike 2-3 inches of snow, so patience is needed.

A merry Christmas and all to you, bye,

Lin

Comments (9)

• vetivert8
    13 years ago

And a successful gardening New Year to you! Hope those crocuses are braving the weather and showing up now.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    13 years ago

Any crocus yet?

We are above freezing here for a day or two and then it's back to the teens and single digits. I shouldn't complain about the cold though, it keeps things from sprouting too early and then getting nipped back. Still a couple snowdrop blooms would be a nice sight!

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually,
    the first crocuses showed up around mid January, survived twice light snowfall and freezing temperatures.
    Here a first whiff of spring,

bye, Lin

Crocus ancyrensis

{{gwi:32662}}

H. foetidus "Wester Flisk"?

{{gwi:32664}}

Eranthis hyemalis

{{gwi:32666}}

first bee

{{gwi:32668}}

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Linaria - it looks as if your season is almost exactly in synch with mine. Snowdrops in a local square.

{{gwi:32670}}

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    13 years ago

I am very envious, thanks for taking and posting the photos! There's no garden picture I enjoy more in the winter than snowdrops and winter aconite, there's something special about them being so early.

You don't happen to have any cyclamen in bloom do you? that would be almost like rubbing salt in the wounds... especially coming out of a -17F night and going into another winter snowstorm tomorrow!

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

kato_b I am really glad you asked that question. I would have said, "No, I only have Cyclamen hederifolium, an Autumn bloomer". But I have just been out to the compost with the kitchen scraps and spotted a cyclamen bud! I seem to have a single C coum after all. Yet another thing I planted and forgot. So thanks!

{{gwi:32672}}

And there are also some double snowdrops opening up. Note the slug damage - the curse of a mild damp climate.

{{gwi:32675}}

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Flora,
    great that you post some pics too for all the spring deprived gardeners. And yes, our regions seem to be in sync. Other stuff flowering here (sorry, that is Basel, Switzerland, my member profile got lost, couldnt fix it yet because of some bug...) is Jasminum nudiflorum, tulip and large daff foliage stats to emerge, flower buds on the Wisteria are swelling. And great, double snow drops. And for the slugs: I had holes eaten into my prim roses (they startet flowering in Dezember), probably slugs as well.
    And kato, sorry, no cyclamen in my border. Hang on, I mean, -17F= -27C, thats bad. If we get a mean bad frost its around -9 C= 15 F. Now I wait for the first botanical daffodils and species tulips,
    bye, Lin

• cjjulian
    13 years ago

Very nice Pictures! I am new to bulbs this season and I am excited to see mine bloom.

So far my Crocus are blooming and my Tulips are popping their little points out of the ground.

{{gwi:32677}}
    {{gwi:32681}}
    {{gwi:4417}}

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    13 years ago

heh heh...more crocus.... not nice!
    The -17 was on the drive through the mountains in the morning. I hope it did not get any colder than -6 in the garden, if it did I might need to replace a few things. One good thing is we have a nice snow cover right now (and it's actually increasing by the minute)

Love the cyclamen but not the slugs.
    I have a few coum seedlings safe in the garage but even when they have grown and are planted some day in the garden I don't expect to see them bloom before March the earliest.

Enjoy your spring!!