Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linaria_z7_ch

bulbs in container froze: flowers in next spring?

linaria_gw
11 years ago

Hello there,
I planted about 10 containers with tulips (Darwin-hybrids) and Daffs, using gardensoil and sand and planned to overwinter the pots in the ground, coveres by 4 inches or more of soil.

Only trouble is, frost came sooner than I thought, the containers were frozen solid.
I dug holes for them anyway, the regular soil had only a thin frozen layer.

-------
Now I wonder whether bulbs survive this kind of freezing or whether their cells just burst and thats it.

They were just planted and still dormant/no roots, so I have a little hope.

Thanks for hints,

Bye, Lin

Comments (6)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

Oh my. Being an optimist, I'd go ahead as you had planned and just hope for the best.

If you can think of it, please let us know how they fared next spring.

Btw...you can include your location in the one box provided by GW for the zone. See I am 5/6 S INdiana.

After reading your post, I was confused about pots freezing solid in zone 7 here is the US. You could update your profile to 7 Switzerland and it would then be shown whenever you make a post.

Sue

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sue, thanks for your hints,
    I did adjust my profile. Funny thing, for more than 9 months, the site played up funny when I tried to edit my member page, then I gave up.

So, I reckon if they should flower I probably will be completely over the moon about it and should think to post the results.
    Bugger, after 3 nippy days, temps are almost mild again, at least switching from snow to rain.

Well, lets wait and see,

bye, Lin

• ontnative
    11 years ago

You don't know for sure the bulbs in the pots froze solid, so they might still be okay. Maybe the pots only got frosted on the surface. I would carry on, as chemocurl says, assuming the bulbs will flower in the spring. It depends what kind of bulbs they are as well. Tulips can usually take sudden cold weather after planting. Other bulbs such as daffs cannot.

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

found this pic by accident when sorting stuff.
    from 3rd of March 2013

as you can see most of them were alive and kicking

and
    I should have used markers in order to find those pots easier (and earlier and not damaging them in the process of digging...).
    They flowered not so great and some suffered from fungus stuff.

you live and learn...

and the next planting season is looming...
    have a great fall, bye, Lin

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

I admire your tenacily, Lin. From the sound of it, you are planning to plant bulbs in pots and bury them again.

Once was enough for me, because the results were not worth the hassle. I already have tons of bulbs in the ground anyway and I have no empty spot except in my vegetable garden in which I bury kitchen scraps and unfinished compost in winter.

Give us an update when you have new blooms from potted bulbs.
    Thank you for sharing.

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi pitimp.,
    no, no new plans to containerize bulbs,
    That one experiment did it for me.

This fall I think I won't even order any new bulb. Right now it is too much work, but that's fine, there will be other seasons.

I bought three bags to plant with my kids and that was fun. 2 more are waiting to go into the ground ( just 20 Narcissus Thalia),
    AFTER I edit that small sunny border of mine, hopefully the very next days.

And then I am done planting bulbs for this year, which is a very nice feeling.

Happy digging everyone,

Bye, Lin