Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blood lily/haemanthus coccineus culture?

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 17:39

I have one of these that has grown happily over the summer in an eastern exposure, and is now 20" tall with 6 nice leaves. What conditions does this require to bloom? Theres not a lot of info on line to tell me what to expect, or even when to expect blooms. Does it go dormant during winter and bloom in the spring before leaves show?

Any info would be appreciated/thanks!

--Rr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blood lily/haemanthus coccineus culture?

You might want to check under Scadoxus if your plant has been growing over summer and is tall.

My Haemanthus has just gone dormant for summer. Flopped its big leaves into brown mulch and, I hope, will come out in flower in late summer, now it's bulked up.

The Scadoxus, though. It's leafing up and will be flowering early next year (mid summer).

You are likely to experience far hotter summers than I do, so your easterly aspect will suit well.

If you are growing a Scadoxus, then dappled light suits it very well, and summer water. Topdress with fresh mix rather than repotting every year, and use a generous pot - 12"+ wide and deep.

It will fall over like a Dahlia with the first frosts yet, so long as they are light, it will sit dormant over winter and resume in mid-spring. It probably will not take prolonged freezing. I'd be snuggling mine under ag fleece if it looked like more than a couple of degrees. Those bulbs are too juicy to tolerate hard frost. For me, it is not evergreen like H albi-flos.

PS the Pacific Bulbs website can be quite useful for African bulbs.

o

Scadoxus blooms before it leaves.It has a good root system. I use 14 inch pot and roots reach the bottom. I pull out my bulbs and store them dry in a net, sow them in March and get blooms by the end of April.

o

I think I had mine in too small a pot, so once it's dry, I'll pot it up for spring and let it sleep til March. Are the flowers self-fertile? I know the albiflos is...

Thanks for all the info!

Happy New Year!

--Rr

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here