Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worsleya procera

Posted by bluebonsai101 6a PA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 5, 10 at 18:08

I posted this on the Amaryllis forum, but wanted to share my excitement here as well. I have had this Worsleya for nearly 5 years and it is getting ready to bloom for the first time now under grow lights in the basement!! Other common names for this beauty are Empress of Brasil and Blue Amaryllis :o) Dan

Worsleya procera

Worsleya procera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worsleya procera

One of the best bits of being a gardener - working for and believing for sometimes years - and having it pay off in a glorious way.

Hope the Worsleya is splendid and lasts in flower for ages!

PS did you get that pollen you were hoping to source?

o

I agree, sometimes it is better to have to wait years to be rewarded rather then just having it flower the summer you get it!!

I had a guy in Japan I know send me some pollen from his plant that bloomed in Oct so I hope it is viable and I can get seed set. There are 6 flower buds so I am hoping to get some seed for myself to try the sphagnum moss germination on that has been discussed on the Worsleya forum as well as send seed to the person in Japan who sent the pollen :o) Dan

o

I have been posting updates on my plant to the Amaryllis forum, but just in case anyone here is interested this is the latest after having 4 blooms open over the past 2 days:

Worsleya procera

Worsleya procera

For me, this is the most spectacular bloom I have seen on all of my odd and interesting plants that I grow :o) Dan

o

Thank you for sharing. I have never heard of this bulb, nor have I seen anything like it. The color is gorgeous.

o

Thanks and glad you liked it. It is truly an amazing plant in person; far more than I could have anticipated from the pics you see on-line as they just do not do it justice, nor do mine :o) Dan

o

Thank you. Very impressive! New to me also. Will have to google it.

o

WOW! Congratulations!! Those are pretty spectacular blooms, aren't they!

Hope seed set is successful!

R

o

Glad you liked them! I tried to self pollinate so we will see if it was successful or not. I have read from some other growers that they can be successfully selfed so we shall see. If this is routine then I am surprised that these plants are not a bit more available :o) Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here