Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Just Planted Bulbs: To Water or Not To Water???

Posted by elleni 4a (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 3, 11 at 18:24

OK! I went out in the 32° F cold today and planted all the bulbs I had space for from my Black Friday box. (The rest will be potted and forced or sent further South.) I finished just as the snow started to fall here in zone 4a. While the ground is NOT frozen, the temps here are now stuck at Midwest Winter-- below freezing for HIGHS from now on. My problem is, with the freezing temps, I am worried to water the bulbs in. I didn't water, but I could, if I must. What should I do?? Someone tell me quick!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Just Planted Bulbs: To Water or Not To Water???

Let Mother Nature take care of them from now on. They will be fine. No need to water.

Congratulations on finishing up your planting, though it was quite chilly.

Sue

o
RE: Help! Just Planted Bulbs: To Water or Not To Water???

Don't water a garden with snow on it - it will cause a layer of hard ice to form on the surface and in turn prevent oxygen from getting into the soil and the plants in it. What I've read is that it takes about one month for that to start killing roots, which can even impact your lawn or trees.

If you are concerned about dry soil while there is snow around, you could shovel a little more snow on the spot so that it will melt as the weather permits. This time of year the soil is still warm so the snow will melt from the bottom up - and snow lets oxygen through. Just do not pack the snow with your feet and keep it as fluffy as possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here