Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cyclamen

Posted by yugoslava 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 2, 11 at 18:33

I'm trying to have a cyclamen that flowered last winter do the same again but the difficulty is my house is warm. I'm keeping it outside for now and it's surprising how well it looks when it's kept outside. I don't quite know how low temperature has to be before I bring it in. I wonder if I should have attempted to bring it out of dormancy earlier, like September. I love Cyclamen, for the colour, scent and length of bloom. I keep it during winter close by the outside door and it does very well but for now it is still warm. Please give me some advice. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cyclamen

Bring it in before it freezes; it's likely not frost-hardy. I think it only needs a cold period of 6-8 weeks or so to return to growth.

o

What for Cyclamen do you have
C. persicum , C.coum , C. hederifolium or ?????

Roland

o

I don't know. I bought it in 2010 before Christmas. It bloomed beautifully and the tuber seemed a good size so I thought I should keep it. I let it go dormant. However, I didn't know how long is the dormancy period for cyclamen. I didn't start watering until late August and found the house was too warm. So, I kept it outside until frost. In my opinion I should have taken it out of dormancy much earlier.

o

It no doubt is C. persicum, the florist's cyclamen.

All is not lost, if you can give it cool, bright spot and short days, it should bloom -- I don't know that they're actually photoperiodic, but I've always found that mine, if treated like a Christmas cactus, will behave the same way and begin to bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here