Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
posierosie_zone7a__

Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?

So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted almost 400 bulbs - mostly daffodils as they are ignored by the rabbits and dear. I know for some 400 is a paltry amount....I would love to see/hear what you are waiting on!

I have created this post to share what we have planted and are excited to see pop up this Spring.

Here is my list with a picture of some of the packages (repeat from another post - apologies if you have already seen!)

Tete a Tete in the back (36) and front (unknown - planted from forced bulbs bought last winter) garden. Such a cute little guy.
18 Barrett Browning with the Tete a Tete in the back garden.
40 Iris reticulata blue planted in the back garden.
20 blue sensation alliums to join the 20 already in the front garden.
3 bearded Iris (kind hearted, orange harvest, pink beauty) in the new extension if the front garden.
32 "pink mix" planted behind the iris and alliums in throw front garden.

Still to plant at the strip between my front fence and sidewalk :
32 "Trumpet Mix"
50 Daffodils sorbet
100 Daffodils ice king
100 white muscari

I have dreams of more for next year. I want some yellow greigii tulips for the front sidewalk - just because. I also would like to fill my woods with some naturalizing bulbs. I am leaning towards snowdrops, but knowing myself, I will probably plant the entire kitchen sink. Maybe another post about what we are already dreaming about for next year to get us through the winter?

Comments (43)

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture of Sorbet stolen off Goggle images

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is another image from Google for "Ice King"

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And a picture from last Spring of the Tete a Tete I had bought forced in winter 2012/2013 coming up Spring 2014. How can I not love these little troopers?

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

You can't go wrong with Daffodils especially with the choice you made. They will give you much joy for years to come. I have had much success with Daffodils (Tete-a-tete & Ice King falimy) myself. They multiplied readily so much so that I had to thin them out once in a while.

But I have had scratchy results with Iris and Alliums. Except for Allium cristophii that reseeded, Iris and other alliums tend to disappear after a few years. Bearded Iris do so-so in my garden because it is so stuffed, the Iris and many bulbs get suffocated or crowded out.

My garden is so stuffed I did not add any bulbs until this past fall when I planted more Colchicum, Allium aflatunense, Tulip 'Pink Impression' & 'Ballerina' and Fritillaria meleagris. I am looking forward to seeing them fill the empty spots in my garden.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

I was very responsible this fall and really only added a few crown imperials and some snowdrops. I think that's a record for me!
    But now as I'm reading about everyone else's goodies I'm thinking being responsible is overrated. I'd be much happier with a few hundred new tulips and daffs in the ground!
    Hope to see some pictures this spring!

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Spring Bulbs 2013

Another view and I'm hoping they come back this year (see next photo)...

This was the first year. These never came back up. I didn't realize tulip bulbs could be annuals, even in zone 4/5. So sad--but at least I know it now! I got them on clearance...that's the only way I could afford so many. If you look behind the flower bed I line my sidewalk with daffodils, about every 18". They stand at attention and are so cute.

I also LOVE allium. I gave some to my neighbor to plant in her yard and she wanted to know if she could eat it. I was offended. She better not dig those up and eat them! They're too beautiful! ha
    This year I am looking forward to my purple and white iris. It's a white throat and the edges are a deep purple so it looks like a ruffle. I have high hopes for a blue iris tuber I planted, but have never seen bloom.
    Heidi

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh good! This is fun - thank you for sharing.

Pitimpinai - I had bought a potted allium the year before last and it did not rebloom. I am hoping that was a fluke. The bearded iris went at the tip of the new extension if the front garden bed. I can see myself extending the bed further if needed - I have a very soft spot for irises!. I bet your beds look amazing so chockful of good stuff!

Kato - I applaud your restraint and my husband probably wishes I take lessons from you! I am starting from zero bulbs and zero flowers when we bought the home 3 years ago so I am trying to convince myself I am being rational.

Xiangirl - your tulips are so beautiful and I am so jealous of your walls and stone. Thank you for sharing those lovely pictures.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I plan to start a poll in the Spring about what is blooming ..... we should definitely share and inspire each other.

• vetivert8
    9 years ago

Fingers are always crossed that Narcissus 'Pipit' will be back, and Narcissus poeticus Pheasant's Eye. Loved and treasured, along with a very 'type-y' cyclamineus variety.

All finished at the moment - and quiet until repotting starts in February-March.

Currently enjoying Albucus and waiting for Galtonia, and Crocosmia masoniorum - which I hope isn't like its weedy cousin.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vetivert - I googled your bulbs - so pretty! My family is from the deep South and those would probably perform well for them. Pipit especially with the white trumpet is just darling.

I am rather new to all the different varieties of narcissus other than the ones I have seen growing up. The cyclamineus ones look interesting especially with the reflexed perianths. The hestitation on my part is trying to understand from Internet pictures what it might look like in my garden.

Crocosmia looks fascinating ....definitely let us know how it performs for you!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Beautiful tulip plantings! It's a shame the first batch didn't come back the next year, thats surprising considering they came so nicely the first year.

I find it hard to go wrong planting bulbs, the hard part is narrowing down your choices to just a few!

Posie- I don't think your husband wants me teaching anyone anything about restraint. One big reason I held back in buying and planting this fall is that I dug up hundreds of bulbs last summer and had to replant the keepers :)

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

I look forward to see pics of your blooming daffodils, Posierosie. You must be very excited. I too can't wait to see my new daffodils. I had about 5 varieties of daffodils last year, the yellow trumpets, Ice Follies, Thalia, Cheerfulness, and Salome. They did great last year.

This fall I went crazy and got more varieties that I am really excited about, Fragrant Rose, Merlin, Green Eyes, Stainless, Accent, British Gamble, Geranium, Jetfire and Itzim. I have to find more room next fall because there are a few more varieties that I want to add.

Here is a clump of Ice Follies this past spring.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Xiangirl, love your beautiful tulip borders and especially the red tulips and yellow daffodils combo.

Poseyrosie, love your pic of tete a tete blooming despite the snow/ice.

What a way to end this winter by posting/sharing our pics of blooming daffodils and tulips from last spring. Karen

This is Cheerfulness

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Salome

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Kousa,

How bright those pictures look! I have been trolling around various gardening blogs as I was sick with whatever terrible cold was being passed around hereabouts. I recognize some of your daffodil names and some I had to Google. What wonderful and classy flowers! I love it that you are adding minis....the pictures I Googled look like a lot of fun.

It will be 6 degrees tonight with snow already in the ground and guess who is shipping my order to me? Hmmm..... I might start another thread in a bit about what to do with all those bulbs and a frozen ground. I have kind of already determined a game plan. No idea if it is a good one though!

• pinkkpearls
    9 years ago

I have alliums, crocus, tulips, hyacinth, glads, poppy anemome, and some other stuff poking through the soil. I have an Iris called Peach Jam that is to die for and I cannot wait to see it come up! All my rose standards, camellias, snaps, pansies, petunias, cyclamen,

I'm a st year gardener so just about died to see new growth. I'm small potatoes and only have about 100-150 bulbs this year, but next year I will triple that bc I loved the experience!

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pinkpearls,

I am excited with you. A new garden and blank slate is so much fun. It sounds like you are off to an start. You are one lucky gal to be in zone 8. I am not seeing anything poking up yet, but I am trying to have patience. Lol.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Pinkpearls, your collection of plants sound so beautiful together. Would love to see pics when they are in bloom.

Posierosie, I agree that it would be nice to see some growths right now but I know I must be patient. I believe my zone is even later than yours. Do you think I am 2 weeks or 4 weeks after you?

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

pinkkpearls, I can hear your excitement. Welcome to the world of gardening. This year is my 3rd year. I have crocus, snowdrop, and daffodil foliage poking through everywhere. It is hard to be patient but it will pay off.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I piled the leaves over the garden beds this year as "free mulch". I dug underneath and there are some daffodil shoots showing. Yipee! Only 2+ months to go.

Kousa, I remember living in Boston and calling my sister in Atlanta on a cold winter night. It had been dark for at least an hour and was in the 20's with snow on the ground. My sister told me she was sitting on the porch ( it was 60F) and watching the sunset. It was warmer and got dark later for her...argh! I think a few weeks lead might be correct between zones. Zone 8 where my family lives often feels almost a month ahead even now when I live in DC, but I might be dramatic.

Love the enthusiasm on this thread! Southerngardening24, it sounds like you will have quite the show in the Spring. I will ask my family down south to let me know when the flowers start showing so I can be timely with the next thread and we can share pictures of our Spring blooms.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Looks like everyone has some beauties to look forward to in spring! I had plans to buy more tulips and daffodils and to get some irises. I never got it accomplished though.

What I did purchase & plant in the fall:
    about 20 Allium Azureum
    and 3 Allium Globemaster

I've got a few other kinds of allium in my garden but these are two of my favorites so I'm excited to see them.

Can't wait to see everyone's flowers!

Michaela

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

I don't know if anyone is feeling it, but this winter seems to be the longest one for me. There just seems to be more cloudy and wet days than I remember of winters past.

I really need to add some allium to my garden. Can anyone recommend some good varieties? I hear that they can ward off some pests.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kousa,

I agree! I go to Trader Joe's weekly and a little pot of forced bulbs comes home with me for $2. They help with the winter blues. :) I have told myself that I am saving on cut flowers because I can enjoy the blooms outdoors for years to come.

I really love alliums and there are so many types. I am eager to hear what others say. I always see close up pictures of the blooms, but never the entire plant in context, which makes me hestitate branching out from the typical purple globes.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Wow, I wish we have a Trader Joe's in our town. It sounds like a really neat store. I heard that TJ even sells bareroot roses in the spring! Posierosie, I cannot agree more with your logic. I think it is a win-win situation. Now, think about it. IF you have not rescued those plants from Trader Joe's, where do you think they would end up? Dead and disposed, probably.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha! Yes, I am not only recycling the bulbs, but saving them! **throws extras in the cart for the betterment of mankind**

Trader Joe's is slowly taking over the world so they will come your way soon. I think that is a good thing! I will need to keep a look out for those roses.

I saw some forced crocuses and they were so cute, but $11? I might make a few pots myself next year.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

At $11 a pot is a bit steep but with this kind of weather, I guess it is not so bad. Have you ever tried forcing bulbs before? I wonder how bulbs on end of season sale would do with forcing. Right now, I have a red amaryllis blooming that I bought on clearance for $4. It is actually blooming nicer than the one I bought at Walmart for $5

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I never haves forced myself, but I think it would be a fun project and I have an extra fridge in the basement. I figure pot them up, leave in the fridge for the required time then bring out in staggered increments. I will research the details later as I have many months beforehand.

I bought two amaryllis last year and clumsily put them into dormancy over the summer. I brought them out in Dec and they grew big strapping leaves. I thought I was only going to get leaves this year as I might not have allowed them to time to set flower. To my delight, the fatter bulb showed one bud last week and another might be peeking out just this morning! I showed my 4 year old pictures of the flowers online and he really loved them. Hopefully he might get as much enjoyment from the real thing. I would love to pass on the joy of plants to my children.

I think your allium question got buried. Maybe start a new thread - i would love to see responses. There are the low growing yellow ones for the front of the boarder, but no one ever shows the full plant. I am suspicious that I might get great flowers then big strapping foliage for the rest of the season hanging out in front of the later blooming flowers..... I think the name might be "moly ". :)

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

:) I guess it can happen. I don't know as I do not have any alliums yet. I will post the question about alliums late summer. With the gardenweb format and layout change and being winter, I am afraid not many people frequent the forums. Have you seen any growths from your bulbs yet? I have seen some growths from my species crocus.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kousa, is that you?? :0. I think late summer is a great time to ask that question about the alliums. I look forward to learning from that thread.

Guess, what? My brother in GA just posted an adorable picture of my niece and nephew next to the first daffodils of the season. Guess it is time to start that "what is blooming?" poll for the zone 8`ers.

I poked around my yard and the crocuses are starting to peek out. They just got buried by snow this evening which is good as we have a low of 1 °F forecasted for tomorrow night.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

HI Posierosie. Yes, it is me, kousa That is awesome to hear about your brother's daffodils blooming. I guess our turn will come soon. Are you excited to see your new flowers this spring? YOu bet I am! When it comes to flowers, I am like a kid at a candy store. I can't seem to have enough.

I hope your son will get interested in gardening with you. As for me, none of the younger generation in my family shows any interest in gardening of any kind. It would be nice to have someone able to take over the garden when we can't do it anymore. I am so happy to hear that you get a flowering stalk from your old amaryllis. Is it blooming yet? What color is it? I have only started growing the amaryllis this year. I was so happy to get two stalks of flowers from the bulb. Its name is Amigo, a red colored one. I read an article from Allthingplants that if you wish to have it reblooming year after year, you have to fertilize it every 2 weeks.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Karen, your enthusiasm and delight in gardening show in your words. I think you might be surprised. Sometimes the next generation needs to rebel then they secretly start a small garden plot and suddenly have prized plants that they show off to everyone. This was my uncle. My grandfather loves all things living including truly loving plants especially trees. My mother jumped on board as a kid, but my uncle was a surprise in his 40's. :)

I agree on the idea of wanting a garden to continue. That is a bit why I have perennials. It is definitely an ephemeral art. The garden is my happy place and I am grateful for it as long as I can have it. I don't think I can go back to the days of container gardening now that I have had a taste of gardening on my own land.

I have a red and a red and white striped Amaryllis. Last year I threw out the packaging on most everything. It will be a surprise when the flower comes up. I have read a few posts on the Amaryllis forum, and you are probably right that I need to fertilize more. When the flowers are through, I will put them in a 10" pot and then bring them outside into the garden to really bulk them up. I think that August is the time to bring it in and start a dormancy period. Supposedly, this method results in soccer ball sized bulbs. I don't know what I would do with a bulb that big but the experiment will be fun!

Brent & Becky' s bulb catalog came and it has a hardy Amaryllis listed which was hardy to zone 7. Possibly not useful, but it is "x amarcrinium" described as a cross between Amaryllis belladonna and crinum moorei. Possibly might overwinter under mulch, in a sunny spot, next to the foundation in zone 6???

• pinkkpearls
    9 years ago
    h
  • KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

What a beautiful anemone, pinkpearls. I love its pink magenta color. Where are you? It must be nice to have spring in February.

Posierosie, I believe that you are right. I did not take on gardening until I turned 40. Wish that I had the wisdom to do it early. I am glad that I can still do it now. With regards to the amaryllis, I really do not have any experience of getting it to bloom from year to year. I am still learning. Do you think that the bulb can get to a football size if fertilized that frequently? I bought some "hardy" amaryllis to try. THese are called "sonatini" amaryllis and supposedly can be left in the ground up to zone 6 if covered with a layer of mulch. I will let you know how they turn out.

• pinkkpearls
    9 years ago

KarenPA_6b I'm in San Antonio, TX. I took that yesterday, it was 67 and beautiful out, today it's all rainy, but still upper 60s forecast. The anenome is Sylphide - has pink leaves too!

• pinkkpearls
    9 years ago
    most of my tulips are popping up, next year will plant dozens more..
  • pinkkpearls
    9 years ago
    All tulips and hyacinth are up now. I kept 5 bulbs to force indoors bc they're so short-lived, especially the smaller ones. I think next year I'll stick to the larger/giant varieties. I'll just say that for my 1st Spring season I'm just taken aback by it all - I learned and am learning so much ... it all gives me so much joy and today is a beautiful day, things couldn't be more perfect.
  • KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Do you think these bulbs will rebloom for you next year? I think they need some chilling time to form flower buds. Since you are in TX, it maybe too warm for them to rebloom.

• pinkkpearls
    9 years ago
    hey Karen, no I'd have to plant New ones each year; bc of that I probably only get a few dozen each of those types of bulb so it doesn't get costly for me. I am working on getting more perennial plants in my yard so I have less to plant each year, but I must have Spring bulbs, even if it's just a few.
  • katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Pinkpearls those are fantastic! Maybe you can encourage spring to head north sometime soon :)

You did well for your first spring, I'm impressed. I'm also envious you can grow those anemones, it's just too cold in the winter here for them. I bet they would come back next year as long as the roots don't rot during the summer. If I were down there I'd be tempted to grow big patches of them, I love that dark center!

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Pink pearls, how very nice! i really love the white and purple combo. Thank you for sharing your pictures with us. Just the cheer I needed with new snow on the ground and 2 kids sick with the flu. "Spring will be here soon" will be my mantra.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

I am so sorry to hear that posierosie. I had my bout with the flu two weeks ago and I have just begun to come out of it. Wishing your kids get well soon and you not catching what they have.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Karen, I hope you feel better! The kids are doing better, but have a nasty lingering cough. Debating whether they should stay home tomorrow. I have been fighting it off successfully so far. Fingers crossed! We adults really get floored by the flu while young kids will often bounce back.

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor