Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tulips coming up already?!??

Posted by monkeytreeboy15 Zone: 7-8 WA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 15, 09 at 19:13

Hello everyone. I have three tulip bulbs in a peat pot that I have burried in the ground. Thinking the bulbs would be dormant until at least Feb., I was surprised to see them coming up after 16 F temps.. Winter's just getting started up here in Washington state. What should I do to keep them dormant until they SHOULD be coming up? ...or will they be fine?? Thanks for all your help.

-Sam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tulips coming up already?!??

What should I do to keep them dormant until they SHOULD be coming up? ...or will they be fine??

They will be fine. It is quite common for things to start to emerge in late fall, or early, mid, or even late winter when one would think it was much too early. The bloom is safely tucked inside of the bulb and will know the proper time to emerge and bloom next spring.

Every fall/winter there are numerous posts of folks being concerned that things (spring bulbs) have started to emerge. It is common for those new to growing bulbs to be concerned.

anyone have bulbs sprouting yet? is an older thread were the original poster had bulbs starting to emerge in Nov.

Don't be a stranger now, and plan to add some more spring blooming bulbs next fall.

Sue...an addict and an enabler.

o
RE: tulips coming up already?!??

Alright. Thanks for the reassurence, Sue.

-Sam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here