Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joefalco_gw

Do Bulbs attract moles?

joefalco
18 years ago

I was wondering since I feel areas of my yard caveing in as I walk on it as if I'm walking on a tunnel, I can only assume moles or some other rodent.

I never experienced this before could it be because I planted bulbs this year?

Comments (9)

• raul_in_mexico
    18 years ago

Daffodils will not attract them but tulips and other bulbs are fair game, you served the dinner for them.

• carol23_gw
    18 years ago

Moles don't eat bulbs, according to what I've read. Voles and mice will eat certain bulbs and chipmunks and squirrels will, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moles

• xanadu
    18 years ago

It might be voles if they are actually eating your bulbs. I lost all of my lilies when I moved here since I didn't know about voles at that time.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Worms attract moles :) Also leatherjackets are a favourite treat. They burrow around at the right depth to make a mess of your bulbs, but they don't eat them.

In some parts of the country (USA) people call moles voles. I don't know if its confusion or just a local usage.

• bsg1
    18 years ago

Moles and voles are two different rodents. Moles are carnivores, voles are herbivores. Moles have larger "boxing glove" sype from paws, voles resemble mice. Moles tunnel under ground looking for grubs and other things to eat. Their tunnels can be unsightly and may cause damage to plants and grass if they expose the roots. Voles cause a heck of a lot more damage to the garden as they love to dine on tasty treats we plant. Just this past summer they discovered my TB Iris best and demolished over 50 rhizomes. I've also found tulips, liatris, hostas and crocus to be among their favorite treats. They are not very picky, though and will eat roses, black eyed susans, coneflowers and most everything else you put in the ground. So far, the only bulbs they have not touched in my garden are narcissus, scillia, puchkina, and muscari. For your sake, I am hoping its not voles as they are a nightmare to garden with. My garden saviors are two cats we recently rescued - since they came to live with us I am seeking much less damage and many dead voles.

Best of luck -

BSG

• carol23_gw
    18 years ago

I don't believe moles are rodents, but insectivora.

Here is a link that might be useful: insectivora

• bsg1
    18 years ago

I stand corrected, thanks. Annexed is an informative link re: voles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vole Info

• leslie197
    18 years ago

When I first started gardening at my current home, I was never bothered by moles or voles. They don't like my very compacted heavy wet clay soil any better than I do. After 10 years of gardening here and improving the soil, mulching heavily, adding compost, etc. etc. I now have problems with both.

As the link above states, the voles are the main problem. Their 2 inch holes show up here and there and everywhere. I know I am going to lose some plants to them over the winter. But....I now have lots of bees and other polinators, hawk moths at night, butterflies and birds, frogs near my wet garden, and of course lots of worms. Win some lose some.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

Insectivore!! Wow, I didn't even know there was such a classification. And hedgehogs belong! I love this place - you learn something new everyday :-)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm