Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
daffs and iris are coming up! help!

Posted by superpony123 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 13, 09 at 21:04

The weather here (NJ) has been RIDICULOUS! It'll be 45 one day and 20 the next. ugh. I feel like the weather is seriously screwing with my bulbs! I planted hundreds of new ones this fall, and I'm going to be devastated if they don't pop up in the spring. Anywho: mainly it's the daffodils and siberian iris that are popping up. thankfully no sign of tulips or hyacinths popping up. I planted all of these at the appropriate times. Is it the weather? What's going on? I am pretty sure this is NOT normal..

Most importantly; WILL THEY COME UP IN THE SPRING?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: daffs and iris are coming up! help!

also, i should add that yes these were planted at the appropriate depths. The daffs seem to be relatively short sprouts, maybe 2" tall at the most so far, but the iris are really shooting up, some of them must be around 6" tall by now. But there's only a few stalks, and that's out of a patch that has roughly 80 bulbs in it.

o

Apparently it's quite common. I even have Baby Boomer Daffs coming up now! See the link below for more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anyone have bulbs coming up already?

o

It is ENTIRELY normal and nothing to be overly concerned about :-)

Every year, this forum gets numerous posts from newbie bulb growers alarmed about the same issue. If the temps remain mild, the foliage of various bulbs (and perennials, like the Siberian iris, Shasta daisies, etc.) will produce some growth. It does not mean the bulbs will be producing blooming stalks too early.....nature has worked it out so that the bulbs flower on schedule as they are supposed to do. And generally, the foliage remains pretty much undamaged by colder weather, when it finally does arrive.

IF you have additional concerns, it certainly won't hurt to add a loose mulch - pine straw, shredded leaves, etc. The bulbs will emerge right through it.

o

So, NJ an VA have gotten together to mess with both of us. LOL !! We've got the same going on with 71 one day then 29 the next night. And then of course, the rain which has barely stopped since even before that Nor'Easter.

I got lots and lots of help on here in my post. Even tho it addresses the tulip, there's help in general about bulbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recently planted bulbs (TULIPS?) coming up

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here