Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nopets

Forcing Paperwhites-newbie

nopets
11 years ago

This is my first time forcing Paperwhites, I only have the one bulb in a canning jar with rocks, if this one don't work, I have 2 more. A friend at work bought me 2 Amaryllis bulbs and a kit of 3 Paperwhites, when I took the Paperwhites out they were at a 50' angle, the one I put in the rocks and water has straightened out real well and has quite a bit of green on it. That really makes me happy, I can't wait until it blooms and I can smell that beautiful scent.

Comments (10)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

Looks great, good luck!
    Here's a link for using alcohol to keep the foliage short. You can see how the leaves turn out on the first and maybe try it on the next if the long leaves bother you.

If the amaryllis bulbs came in a kit, I would avoid using the soil that comes with it. Use regular potting soil instead, the stuff they usually include is all peat or something similar that's just to wet for amaryllis to do well in.

Here is a link that might be useful: another post

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I decided to put them in the pot they came in with potting soil and a hole in the bottom. I just nestled all 4 of them in there and put it on my bookcase where it is dark and cool. They have plenty of room right now so they can straighten out, as you can see they are pretty bent. The jar was a good idea until I put the water in and there was a leak, not a good thing.

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have another sprout on this one bulb, I guess that means everything is ok, this one web page said to gently tug on the paperwhites to see if you meet any resistance and that will tell you that the roots are forming, I did and met resistance, I have roots! Everything is doing well.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Paperwhites are a little unusual in that, like Hippeastrums, they do not need dark when you force them. I'd get them into a brighter spot or you will end up with very long floppy foliage. You need as much light as possible to keep them sturdy and short. Plus they will not straighten out if they are seeking light.

You are right about keeping them coolish. The blooms last longer that way. And I would not tug on them. It satisfies your curiosity but disturbs the bulbs. Enjoy them.

• maplerbirch
    11 years ago

I don't see where I can start a new post, so perhaps I may tad along on this one.
    I just picked up a Hyacinth in Blossom growing in a jar of stones. I can see the roots in the water and wonder if it is a good idea to keep that jar full.

• ontnative
    11 years ago

maplerbirch, go down to the very bottom of the forum Bulbs page, and you will see where to post a new message.

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Are these too tall to try the alcohol trick? Do I just pour a small amount on the top or put it in the bowl? My hubby mixed up the alcohol and water mixture for me, I figure the one is already too tall,what do you think?

• ontnative
    11 years ago

I would still try the alcohol mix if you like. I have not done this myself, but it should work. Not too much alcohol though, as it is toxic in larger quantities.

• nopets
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the paperwhites blooming, I posted a picture earlier on a different forum, and screwed up but here is the paperwhites I planted on December 3rd 2012, and they are blooming already. I will just love to post on the Amaryllis forum when they bloom, fire engine red, enjoy the blooms.

• tammypie
    11 years ago

Don't you love paperwhites? I have many bulbs growing outdoors in pots and they're loving it. The good thing is that they'll come up again next year.