Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
posierosie_zone7a__

What HD 50% did to me

These are already in the ground. I just bought another bag of 36 more and wish I had hundreds so the entire perimeter of my fence would be covered on Spring flowers. 50% off at HD plus winter blues = digging and dreaming until the ground freezes too hard. :p

Comments (12)

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Looks like you are going to have a beautiful spring garden! Were you able to plant all of them?

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Kousa,

This winter has been quite mild so nothing has really frozen yet. All are in the ground and fingers crossed for a good show in Spring. Knowing they are waiting to pop up makes the winter so much better.

I am a big fan of the tete a tete daffodils. I have a bunch in the front, but none in the back. They are so cute and ready to bloom so early. I am on my second year of alliums - I have dried allium seedpods in a vase on my mantle. So, some already tested items for my garden. The irises are new for me. I hope my conditions suit them. :)

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

You definitely got some great buys here. Those purple alliums look beautiful! I too love the early mini daffodils. I have added some to my garden this year too. Most of what I have are the regular trumpets so I have added quite a variety of daffodils to the garden this year. Can't wait to see them this spring. I think we have about 2 more months to go.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Kousa,

I just broke down and ordered the 40% Van Engelen. 1 split variety (sorbet) and 1 double (ice king) with an underplanting of white muscari. A total of 250 bulbs to go infront of my fence. I plan to plant next weekend or the weekend after, weather permitting.

I am so excited ....I was on that darn site at least 3x looking at every option. At this point, I am praying for a hard freeze after I get these bulbs in do my itchy fingers don't buy more!

What fun ot is to share this - my friends think I am crazy although the neighborhood enjoyed the show last Spring. When we bought our home it was winter and I was horrified in the Spring when one lone daffodil came up at the side of the house. I planted muscari and crocuses in the lawn (rabbits ate half - they are on their own now), plus various daffodils and tulips. The bunnies are voracious tulip eaters, but don't touch the daffodils. Hence, daffodil mania this year.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Double post

This post was edited by Posierosie on Sat, Dec 27, 14 at 0:14

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

This has been a mild December so it is a good year to plant late spring flowering bulbs. Even where I am now, it will be in the 50's soon! I think if I have more place to put bulbs, I would.

Just think how much your hard work now will reward you in the spring. Please show us pics of your purchases next year. I did not know that Van Engelen is still shipping. I also took advantage of their sale in November. They have such a great selection of bulbs.

Well, hope they all turn out wonderfully for you. I will catch up with you in March.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kousa. I was a bit worried about the late timing. If my design works out, you will definitely get a picture or two. Van Engelen is shipping until Jan 9th and has a link on the homepage to the availability list.

I would love to see your garden next year as well. I bet it will be a sight to behold!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Posierosie I like how you think! Did you get the daffs in yet? It should be getting cold for a spell now so I hope they're in the ground. Strangely enough my bulbs are all planted for a few weeks now, that's not the norm for me lol

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Kato,

I just emailed to see where my order is - I never got my shipment email. You are right, I am cutting it close although Sunday will be 60F, that might be my last chance in a while!

• rredbbeard
    9 years ago

Sounds wonderful, Posie!

I'm not that knowledgeable about irises, but I wonder if the rhizomes should be mulched a little? They're usually on the surface of the soil and exposed, so a good freeze might set them back I think. I would give them a generous sprinkling of crushed red pepper, cover them temporarily with weed mat, and put a few inches of mulch on top of all that. Once spring arrives, remove the fabric and mulch. Hopefully the hot pepper will have protected them from vermin seeking winter protection and a snack.

Keep us posted!

--Rick in CT

• rredbbeard
    9 years ago

Sounds wonderful, Posie!

I'm not that knowledgeable about irises, but I wonder if the rhizomes should be mulched a little? They're usually on the surface of the soil and exposed, so a good freeze might set them back I think. I would give them a generous sprinkling of crushed red pepper, cover them temporarily with weed mat, and put a few inches of mulch on top of all that. Once spring arrives, remove the fabric and mulch. Hopefully the hot pepper will have protected them from vermin seeking winter protection and a snack.

Keep us posted!

--Rick in CT

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Rick,

Thank you! I went to the Iris forum a few weeks ago and there are a few threads very strongly against mulching for the winter. I believe the fear is for rotting if kept too moist. Mine are about under 1 inch and I actually have some freebies in the back under a few inches of fall leaves. At this point, there are a few inches of snow on the ground so I think I will leave them as they are. It will be interesting to see if they react differently.