Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acidanthera murielae (peacock orchid or glads) take 2

Posted by raee zone 5-6 OH (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 18, 09 at 22:48

Seems my question got wiped out after posting--so trying again!

I bought 2 bags of these bulbs last week for a song. The bulbs (corms?) were sprouting. It seems that they normally would be stored over winter dormant and dry, like I do my callas; but since they were sprouting now I worried about how to handle them. Does anyone have any ideas?
I did pot them up in damp soil. So I could either keep them in a window and continue watering--but what will they do? I don't really want them to grow/bloom over winter--or give them no more water, put them in the basement with the callas, and hope that they will go back to sleep.

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acidanthera murielae (peacock orchid or glads) take 2

Since you moistened them, you're committed. Keep them sunny (southern exposure), watered, and fed indoors over the winter, and watch out for spider mites. You may even get some flowers!

Give them a month's dry dormant period in the early spring, then plant them out again outside, ideally two weeks before the last frost. They should grow, and possibly bloom again, though that depends partly on how happy you were able to keep them over the winter.

Proper storage conditions for Acidanthera and the other corms from Mediterranean climates (Glads, Freesias, etc.) is warm (75-85 deg. F) and dry (20%-30% humidity). Both cool temps and moisture cause the bulbs to sprout, since these are the signals of the beginning of the rainy season in their native habitat.

Good luck!
Kevin : )

o

A South African native, member of the Iridaceae family, Gladiolus callianthus, the culture is the same as other gladiolus. The most noticeable difference is the longer length of time required from planting to bloom, and of course they are fragrant. In your zone they often are so late blooming the frost gets them first. With your early start, if you can keep them through the winter, your season will be long enough! Here they are not dug unless they get too crowded. Al

o

• Posted by raee zone 5-6 OH (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 21, 09 at 21:00

Thanks, guys. The potting soil is quite dry after a week indoors, and the sprouting tips don't seem to have grown any more, so I think that I am going to take the chance of putting them into the basement and leaving them dry. We will see how it turns out. They were so inexpensive that I am willing to gamble (which is why I bought them in the first place!) Maybe I will take two or three to try to keep growing over the winter, too.

o

• Posted by raee zone 5-6 OH (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 6, 10 at 12:51

I glanced at the pot these are in yesterday--they did not go back to sleep! They are up 5-6" despite being in the dark and chilly basement and unwatered for the past 3 weeks.
So it is up into the window with the geraniums and citrus for them. We'll see what happens with that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here