Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need an ID please

Posted by fairfield8619 8 N La. (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 29, 11 at 23:12

While rustling paperwhites and jonquils on vacant lots in town I found these. They look just like mini crinums to me. I find lots of crinums but they are always several big bulbs with maybe a few small offsets. These all seem very uniform. They have the plastic-like, robust foliage like crinums but they don't seem to want to fall over. Granted they just came up and are only a foot tall but I would expect them to flop a little if they were crinums. The tips have a neat little twist on them.
I'll keep them in the greenhouse since they seem to want to grow right now and see what happens. Does anyone have any ideas?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need an ID please

The stripe down the middle is a bit baffling but I'll offer Ornithogalum and Ismene, as starters. Possibly Hippeastrum, but that could be stretching it.

o

could it be blue bells? hyacinthoides? here is a link,
bye, Lin

http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2008/290508/log.html

Here is a link that might be useful: blue bells

o

Don't think they're Spanish bluebells because those do flop over and the OP says these don't. They are definitely not English bluebells which have much finer foliage and smaller bulbs.

o

My guess is Lycoris Radiata. The white stripe down the middle of the foliage is an extremely good clue. The bulb size, shape, and color is right too. I hesitate a bit, as the foliage looks broader than normal. On the other hand, my luteas (yellow blooms) have broader foliage than the red ones, so that could well be what you have.

It is possible that it is some variety of crinum. Ellen Bosanquet is not an extremely large bulb, or plant, and does offset. It is quite common, so that would be a possibility. However, this time of year all my crinums have died back to the ground and there is nothing but brown, dried ick over their tops. Hannibal's Dwarf is another possibility, sizewise.

Hippeastrum have died entirely back to the ground too by now, so that's not likely either. And, your foliage is all wrong for amaryllis.

Right now, in my yard, here are the bulbs that have standing green foliage: Lycoris Radiata, Lycoris lutea, Narcissus of all kinds (no white stripes), Rhodophiala (your foliage is far broader), Leucojum (you're further south, so this might be it), Dutch Iris (your foliage is too broad).

Clear as mud, right? The only way to know for certain is to plant them and wait for them to bloom.

I, for one, would be interested in your results....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here