Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
36shirl

Pics of My '05 Container Gardening on Patio

shirl36
18 years ago

I am going to try this Gallery.....

We only have room for containers...this is my attempts this year....All planted in Al's soil recipe....Worked well.

Inside North Fence ( I have started a gardem just on the other side of this fence, the street side. You can't see it till next year....doesn't look like much right now)

{{gwi:532}}

{{gwi:533}}

{{gwi:534}}

{{gwi:535}}

And for My Husband this corner.....

{{gwi:536}}

{{gwi:537}}

Comments (15)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

Wow! Good going, Shirl!! Very attractive.

Al

• username_5
    18 years ago

really superb job, you should be proud

• Eliza_ann_ca
    18 years ago

Those are awesome!
    You have done an excellent job...quite a bit of work and love seems to have gone into creating such a beautiful garden.

Eliza Ann

• OUTofSPITE
    18 years ago

VERY nice!!
    How are the impatiens planted?
    Stacked pots?

• LaurelLily
    18 years ago

By paying attention to staggering your heights and groupings, you've done such a good job ARRANGING the containers in a pleasing way. It's a good reminder that having a pretty arrangement in a pot is only half the job--the arrangement needs a good spot in a container garden. How pretty it all is! And I love your Marine corner. He must feel so proud of it.

• SherCA
    18 years ago

Along with Al, I must say, "WOW!" It was my first thought. Your containers, and your arrangement of them, are just beautiful.
    Sher

• shirl36
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I appreciate all the nice comments, Thank You!!....

OUTofSPITE....you questioned the pots....there are six pots....a 6" thru 14" plus a catch tray with holes drilled in it...stacked tray and 14" pot...then put a steel rebar rod thru middle hole and into the ground...filled with potting soil....another pot threaded onto rod..fill with soil...and again till finish with pots.... wind did not move one bit.....I used Wal-Marts plastic pots...I did find I had to rotate pots by turning bottom tray, to keep flowers growing even.....they were too shaded next to fence I guess.

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

WOW Those are just Gorgeous!!! You did a wonderful job and you should send those pictures to Birds and bloom magazine.They are worthy of more praise than just showing them here.The country needs to see them.

Love that Marine corps corner as well.Where did you find that big emblem of the corps??? My dh is a retired Marine as well,i'd love to surprise him with something like that.
    Thanks for sharing,I love them.
    Kathi

• shirl36
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kathi....

the Marine Corps plaque was like a grey concrete stepping stone....Last winter I painted two of these in
    red, white, blue & gold....One of our sons bought 3 of them, one for himself, his Dad & brother....it was bought at a garden ornament business here in West Central Illinois. I saw one painted in a neighboring town a few months ago. I imagine you could find one at a garden-lawn center....It is very heavy, otherwise I would mail you one....

• katwomn59
    18 years ago

Just beautiful!
    Lydia

• gardenfan
    18 years ago

Hi Shirl,

You have a gift. Your patio garden looks sooooooo tranquil. Do you need to spend a lot of time watering? Are your plants winter-hardy, or do you make alternative winter arrangements for them?
    Janice

• iris_gal
    18 years ago

Shirl,
    You are an artist!!! These are beautiful.

Hope you're still checking your post. I'm wondering what's in the 2 hanging baskets. Is it ivy geraniums and needlepoint ivy? What is the purple bloom and grey foliage? Thanks.

• covella
    18 years ago

Beautiful job! I love your arranging and the use of white planters to compliment the bright colors. Also, pretty darn impressed with the Tower o'Impatiens! I might have to try that! I wonder if it would look cool to do a smaller one with forced bulbs?

• sassy270380
    18 years ago

very pretty,i am also going to be trying some container gardening after my backyard project

• garden_graphic_gal
    17 years ago

Thanks for sharing!!