Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katwomn59

Al's Garden Pics

katwomn59
18 years ago

Now that I have finally figured out how to post pics here, Al has given me permission to post pictures of his garden! And yup Laurelily, he walks the walk! His garden is incredible! My favorite ones are the froggy pic and the bonsai in the acorn cap (how did you do that?). I am just gonna post them all in one, then hopefully Al will follow up with more information about them! Here goes!

Garden Aug 1 014

{{gwi:562}}

Garden Aug 1 012

{{gwi:563}}

Garden Aug 1 038

{{gwi:564}}

Garden Jul 05

{{gwi:565}}

Jul 05

{{gwi:566}}

Neat View

{{gwi:567}}

Misc 007

{{gwi:568}}

Misc 006

{{gwi:569}}

Misc 005

{{gwi:571}}

Garden Aug 10 003

{{gwi:573}}

Misc 034

{{gwi:575}}

First Try 001

{{gwi:577}}

Garden Aug 1 049

{{gwi:579}}

Pretty awesome huh?

Lydia

Comments (16)

• shirl36
    18 years ago

I should have known it would look the greatest....Lots of work there....

When I pull the pictures up.....the first, fourth & fifth picture are only half there.....they did not load completely...bottom half is missing....I have tried several times to get them to load....I really imagine it is pilot error on my part....I will keep working on them....

Enjoyed the pictures Al...I like all the rocks ....and the tin pitcher filled with ???....in the 6th pic in the lower right hand corner is a glass jar with a stray attachment is this an antique? If so how old...just had DH look at it and he had never seen before.....Good job Al...Thanks for sharing. Shirley
    Shirley

• LaurelLily
    18 years ago

I KNEW that Al's garden would be breath-taking, and it is! How pretty! I'm so glad I got to see it--I've been wanting to see it for at least a year. : )

GREAT JOB, AL!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

Jeepers, I kind of forgot about the pics until tonight. Thanks alot, guys. The pleasure I get from other's enjoyment of the gardens at least equals, probably surpasses the pleasure I get from my own enjoyment. Did that make sense? ;o)

The turquoise, antique watering can and the antique mister were both purchased last year from Big Lots for about 4 bucks each (or less). ;o) The copper colored little pitcher with the coleus in it was a buck at the dollar store. I usually give a couple dozen of those away with various plant material each year. I built the little cart from oak & cedar, using old golf cart wheels.

Thanks again, and thanks to Lydia for doing the posting.

Al

• october17
    18 years ago

Beautiful garden! Is that an angelonia in pic #2? I wanted to try that this year but didn't see any anywhere. Do you overwinter any containers outside? What survives?
    Thanks for sharing!

• rjj1
    18 years ago

Very nice Al.

randy

• wantoretire_did
    18 years ago

Al - What eye candy!! Thank you for sharing.

• girlndocs
    18 years ago

Al, what is that succulent that looks almost like lettuce, the one on the right (just behind the hen and chicks) in the terra cotta saucer?

18 years ago

Been awhile since I've been here. The succulent is (guess) Kalanchoe thyrsiflora. I won't argue if I get corrected. ;o)

Al

• hajir
    17 years ago

wow. how dd you do all that?

this especially..
    {{gwi:579}}

great job,

• Eliza_ann_ca
    17 years ago

Simply awesome!
    WOW!

• glorym
    15 years ago

Hi Al , I absolutley love the frog "givin a holler" :)

15 years ago

As you can see, I haven't been here in awhile ..... again. ;o)

The acorn cap is a cutting from a portulacaria (mini jade). I keep it on a capillary mat & water with distilled water. It will last as long as the cap holds up - usually 2 years before it disintegrates & the plant has outgrown the cap.

Thanks, Eliza. You're kind. ;o)

Glory - the frog looks like he's looking at you and saying "HI", doesn't he? Now that I think on it ......... he is.

I have a large number of all kinds of frogs scattered all through the garden. ;o)

{{gwi:561}}

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

WOWSER,those are all gorgeous,my favorite is that big rock with the frog and pitcher on it.I'd love to have that.TFS
    Kathi

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

Al, these are spectacular! We have a whole new yard to landscape. I hope it looks half as good as yours when we're done. Right now it's just dirt and rocks. Hubby is doing some clearing and leveling. Will I EVER get to plant?!! I want to do a lot of containers, but right now I don't have much of a place to put them because they would be in the way of his work. I'm making lots of garden art, but haven't put much out yet...just a few things on the porch.

15 years ago

Hi, Kathi. Thanks!!! I send a picture of the little waving frog & the pitcher to all my new friends (when I remember). The rock is special and belongs to a group of other's that came to me when my grandma passed & other grandkids were squabbling over who would get what antiques. I was happy to bow out of that picture with only the beautiful rocks she had collected and spent so much time with over the years in her rock garden. I most often think of her in the early morning as the sun is rising & I walk the gardens with a cup of coffee or cocoa to sip. I really love her rocks.

Laura - Is your forum name a play on Lara's Theme? I really enjoy that piece. I listen to it often when I'm working on (bonsai) trees.

I'm sure your new landscape will be spectacular when you're done. How exciting to have a blank palette. I hope you'll come back and show us some pics of your garden art - or at least send the pics to me, so I can enjoy them. Good luck - I hope you fare well!

Al

• jameya
    9 years ago

I know this thread is super duper old, but i just found it while reading on here and just had to comment... these pictures are so very beautiful and so much creativity in them is inspiring!!!
    Are they anymore threads with pictures of Al's gardens?? I am always awe struck and super envious when i see someone that has the knowledge and is creative enough to have a area that looks as amazing as this!!!
    Okay..now i have to go out and plant a magnolia jane and some black eyed susans that i hope one day will look a third as good as these beauties :)