Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Al's Soil Components

Posted by katwomn59 8b-Austin, TX (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 19:19

And here is a picture of the soil components for Al's Mix.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Al, correct me if I am wrong but as I remember the components are (clockwise from bottom left): perlite, pine bark, partially composted pine bark and fir bark.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Al's Soil Components

I am sorry where can I read more about this all and his gardening? also.. do you add these components to potting soil??

o

Hi aromaticwings,
They are not ADDED to the soil, they ARE the soil! They are the components Al uses to create his potting mix. It is worth trying and not difficult to do. I had good results last year and it was my very first season growing anything! This year I am substituting coconut husk chips and cocopeat for the pine bark and peat, but I still use his recipe! This link should take you to the thread about container soils.

Lydia

Here is a link that might be useful: Al's Container Soil

o

I just found this thread. I live in Southern California and would like to try to find pine bark fines.
Anyone know where to get it?
Thanks

o

I'm using Greenall microbark fir bark for my gritty mix.

I found mine at

Whitter Fertilizer
9441 Kruse Road
Pico Rivera, CA 90660
(562) 804-8739

o

• Posted by tania Zone10 Ca (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 17:50

Thanks so much *nguyenty* for posting the Info on Whttier Fertilizer. Had you not posted this, I would have never known about this place! I found this post last night and went there today this morning! I had been looking for vermiculite and perlite in large quantities and found them there! Next on the list is peat in the packed cube. Don't want the Miracle Grow one, it has fertilizer in it. I really liked there selection on bark mulches...great selection!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here