Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orice_bunnyo

Restarting Vegetable Container Gardening. HELP!

oRice_Bunnyo
9 years ago

Hello Everyone

I am a beginner gardener I started earlier this year from seeds. I am choosing to grow organically but had issues this year with the heat, pests and I will admit knew nothing about soil etc

I made mistakes and some veggies did well considering my lack of experience and knowledge. I lost some plants due to pests, the severe heat. I did container gardening as that is what suites me at the moment with moving etc.

I took a break as I recently moved but do miss planting my seeds with my son (2 year old who LOVED waking his seeds up with our lamp and watching them grow!).

My question and concern is....I really really want to do things right this time around and I must admit I am educating myself heavily before proceeding. I feel I have the seed starting down for the most part, its the transplanting and continued growth that I struggle with.

If someone can PLEASE break down the whole idea and concept and NEEDS when it comes to container soil? Literally in kindergarten level. From what soil should contain, where earthworm casting, compost and fertilizer come in the picture and HOW/WHEN these should be added to my base soil.

Can I mix Casting, Compost with a Soil that has fertilizer as I am transplanting? Should they be separated and used at different times? My apologies for lack in knowledge I just want my plants to thrive this next time around and be able to understand better as resources explain but not enough breakdown to say OH I GET IT!

Please Help Thank You :)

ALSO! Is Bat Guano, Manure etc a MUST? I would like to avoid this along with anything non organic method.

I Personally Love Black Gold brands of soils etc so if anyone has experience with their products listings would be wonderful :)