Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT - Ginger ID

Posted by ykerzner 9 TX (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 30, 11 at 0:16

Hi,

I know this is off-topic, but this is a pretty active forum and I'd like an answer relatively soon. In the local university horticulture club, we just examined a ginger plant that was donated to us two years ago, with no clue whether it is ornamental or edible, or whether it was simply infested with nematodes.

So, is this an edible ginger, or is it ornamental, or is it one of the two but heavily infested with nematodes?

Thanks in advance, if you do know what this alien thing is :).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT - Ginger ID

I grow Hedychium ginger lily which is what most people refer to ornamental ginger and your plant does not at all like it. I have started ginger from a root piece but never kept it long enough to know if it look like yours as it matured. In my opinion though, yes I think that is what it is. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here