Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ishuku

How to trim dracaena marginata roots?

ishuku
11 years ago

Hi guys, I have a really specific question and was hoping someone could help me out. I've read a lot online about cutting stems and tops of dracaena marginata that have gotten too tall, but I have a slightly different problem. I inherited one of these plants from someone who had it in a group planting with some podophyllum in a long, shallow-ish rectangular container. The podophyllum have since died, but the dracaena is doing fine. The thing is that it only takes up one end of the long container so it looks really silly.

I want to repot it into a normal-shaped pot, but the roots have grown so thickly into the other side of the container that if you pull the entire plant up, it looks like a letter "L" with the canes and the roots. It's absolutely impossible to repot in its current shape.

My question is, is there a way to cut the roots that make up the bottom part of the "L" without outright killing the plant? These are thick, substantial, woody roots. Could I just lop off some foliage to compensate for the smaller root mass? If I did just chop off the crown, how would it affect new foliage growth-- Would the cane branch out under the cut?

Comments (3)