Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to trim dracaena marginata roots?

Posted by ishuku CT (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 0:30

Hi guys, I have a really specific question and was hoping someone could help me out. I've read a lot online about cutting stems and tops of dracaena marginata that have gotten too tall, but I have a slightly different problem. I inherited one of these plants from someone who had it in a group planting with some podophyllum in a long, shallow-ish rectangular container. The podophyllum have since died, but the dracaena is doing fine. The thing is that it only takes up one end of the long container so it looks really silly.

I want to repot it into a normal-shaped pot, but the roots have grown so thickly into the other side of the container that if you pull the entire plant up, it looks like a letter "L" with the canes and the roots. It's absolutely impossible to repot in its current shape.

My question is, is there a way to cut the roots that make up the bottom part of the "L" without outright killing the plant? These are thick, substantial, woody roots. Could I just lop off some foliage to compensate for the smaller root mass? If I did just chop off the crown, how would it affect new foliage growth-- Would the cane branch out under the cut?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to trim dracaena marginata roots?

Hi ishuku,
I would start by wetting the soil and letting that sit for awhile. Then, take the dracaena out of the rectangle pot and begin to shake the soil off. As you do this, untangle the roots as you go. Once you get an untangled view of the roots, you can see which roots can be trimmed back. It won't hurt the plant to trim the roots. Don't trim out more than a third and leave a well balanced clump. Replant directly into the new container adding fresh potting soil and don't forget to water again at this point. Think that should do it.

o

ishuku, I'd decide where I want to cut the roots on the long side of that L.
I would use a sharp knife or heavy scissors.
I would cut straight across the container; and not worry if I do not get all the roots.
Leave the plant in the container long enough for the cut roots to start branching. Addition of organic matter in the form compost in the area of the cut roots will help this process.
Monitor the root branching progress; and I would guess that after about 8 weeks, you will be able to lift the plant with its smaller root ball, cut away any remaining long roots and set it in the new container and add more compost to set it firmly in place.
It is similar to root pruning a field grown tree; a quarter circle (12 o'clock to 3 o'clock; 3 to 6; 6 to 9 etc) at monthly intervals. New feeder roots proliferate inside the pruning circle so that when the whole tree is lifted and set in its new location, the shock is minimized.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 16:44

Can we see a picture of the plant? If you time things right & have a plan going in, plants will tolerate an amazing volume of root reduction.
Note:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I'd be thinking about bare-rooting and getting the plant into a fast-draining, well-aerated soil when you do the repot.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here