Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to container gardening...

Posted by GardenMama22 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 3:19

Hi, im new to growing vegetables in containers. My son and i do the gardening mostly and with the last 2 years not very well we want to try something new. We are gonna do tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and a few others. i could use any advice that anyone can give me. I love to garden with my son, but hate it when he sees how hard we're wrking to get the garden goin and it doesnt do well at all. we even tried raised beds. but seems like the ground just dont like us. so now we try containers. thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to container gardening...

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 12:09

I think the most prevalent source of frustration for container gardeners comes from the relation between soil choice and watering habits. Understanding how your soil works advantages you by putting you on the uphill side of any battle. ;-)

My suggestion would be to familiarize yourself with the concept explained at the link I'll leave below, to the degree that you'll understand how to implement it. I think an understanding of the information I'll link to probably represents the largest step forward a container gardener can take at any one time.

You'll find lots of good guidance by experienced growers here, so good luck!

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More here if you click me ....

o

You mention being new to growing vegetables in containers, so I guess you are successful growing them in the garden soil. The veggies you mention are all full sun, summer grown, container or not. You give no clue to where you live and garden, which limits the guessing of what could be wrong. Al

o

Growing vegetables in containers is more challenging than raised beds. You have to use fairly large containers and be diligent about watering. Do you know why the raised beds were not successful? Do some reading on Square Foot gardening and that may help you discover what you can do to have more success.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raised bed garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here