Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gravel level with corrugated drain pipe in SIP containers

Posted by therm none (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 3:51

After doing some research around sub-irrigation I think I've come up with a cheap method of creating a SIP pot (the 20L pails are expensive in Aus)

9.3L Bucket
~40cm length of 2" Corrugated Drain Pipe
~30cm length of 13mm rigid hose

The space in the centre of the corrugated pipe is almost levelled off with screenings and shade cloth layered over this.

I made up mix of 5-1-1 Pine bark - coir - perlite (with some fertilizer and lime) and covered the surface with straw mulch.

I made up ~10 of these over the weekend, however I don't think it's wicking very well.

Any opinions on having gravel in the base of pots with CDP?

I'm tempted to pull out the gravel and shade cloth entirely and cover the exposed ends of the drain pipe with weed mat.

When I convert larger (and much wider) pots for tree's, I think I maybe should still have a slight layer of gravel in the base otherwise there will be a large amount of media sitting at the water level, with very little air space in the CDP coiling the outer edge of the pot.

Opinions, Tips?

thanks

This post was edited by therm on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 4:26

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gravel level with corrugated drain pipe in SIP containers

dump the gravel go with all 511 with 6-8 inches above the drain hole. gravel is too large, too much air space.

i'd have 8-12 inches of reservoir and 6-8 inches for plant. your drain looks too low from the pic, plug the hole and move drain up 8-12 inches.

don't need the fabric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here