Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pot size for Strawberries?

Posted by PunkRotten 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 7:01

Hi,

I do not have the space for a bed of strawberries. And I worry about slugs and disease from berries touching the ground. So I decided to grow them in pots. I hear they have shallow roots and because of this a pot as shallow as 6 inches is adequate. Is this true?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pot size for Strawberries?

Hi PR,
Not in my experience. You can certainly grow them in smaller containers (I do) but you will not get as many berries and they will be on the small side. Also, after 1 year, the roots on my plants extend as much as 3 feet (after I unwrap them from inside the rootbound pot). I would use at least a 12' deep pot if you have them. Make sure you mulch and check for thrips and slugs. You may also want to use bird netting. Nothing worse than waiting weeks for that berry to turn red only to find it shredded to pieces by some bird. Hope that helps.

-Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: my gardenblog

o

I have grown mine in window boxes the last 2 years and they did fine. At the ag center they grow them in grow boxes and fertilize with miracle gro every time they water. They get an awesome amount of large strawberries.

o

Sounds like if you put more plants per pot you would get fewer and smaller than anticipated berries.

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 23:55

I don't grow strawberries (yet!), but have seen photos of them growing in many different containers, even eavesthroughs, or in vertical gardens using 4"plastic pipe with holes cut out for the plants.
You can find lots of examples on youtube.

o

We bought a strawberry topsy turvy container at a yard sale. I think I am going to replant my berries into that. Most of them have a rotten spot now when they are ripe in the window box.

o

Straberries will grow in a 6" container 4" deep, but will require feeding and the runners will not root.

o

What is a good fertilizer for straws preferable in liquid form?

o

Miracle Gro.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here