Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potting soil altered due to extreme cold?

Posted by rouge21 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 7:47

I spy a good deal on Miracle Gro Moisture Control Potting soil.

I am thinking of buying many bags and storing them in my (unheated) garage.

Is there any reason(s) to think that the efficacy/"potency of bagged soil diminishes when subjected to sub zero cold?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potting soil altered due to extreme cold?

I don't know the specific answer to this question and I'm not an expert here, however I do not know that freezing would drastically change the soil itself to any great degree. What it might do is possibly change the effectiveness of any fertilizers that are contained within the soil. Perhaps other veteran members could give you a better answer. If you want a definitive answer you should probably contact Scotts directly and ask them this same question.

While at my local Lowe's yesterday I noticed there were many stacked pallets of bagged MG soils sitting around in the garden center. Since it's been so cold around here I am certain that those bags of soil are frozen solid. They must be from last season's inventory as they are covered in snow.

I no longer used bagged MG soils but if I did want to buy some from my local Lowe's the price for last year's frozen inventory would have to be very heavily discounted before I'd even consider taking a chance on it.

Just my opinion.

TYG

o

First of, Freezing is not going to do anything to any potting soil or any soil.
The second thing is (just my curiosity), what is your purpose for stocking it up ? Do you think that they will run out of it? Or they will jack up the price ?

o

what is your purpose for stocking it up ?

There is a reduced price for this product right now.

(It has been my experience that potting soil rarely goes on sale)

o

I wouldn't use a moisture control product at all. Too wet/devoid of air when actually moistened well, hydrophobic if really dry. Those silicone crystals take about an hour to plump/hydrate, then shrink as they dry. When they expand and contract, roots can be damaged, soil compacted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here