Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bark source - Northen Illinois

Posted by lathyrus_odoratus 5A-IL (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 7:55

I almost cried when Oak Hill Garden moved to Wisconsin. I bought enough to last awhile, but I'm out and spring is rapidly approaching.

Has anyone found a replacement source in Northern Illinois or Northern Indiana for the Vitabark that Oak Hill sold?

I once found something at Lowe's that was OK, but they only had a couple bags and haven't had it since. I've never seen anything at the local Home Depots that is OK. There is another orchid store in the western burbs, but the price was 1.5 times that of Oak Hill's price. I may end up buying that if I don't hear of another source.

Thanks for any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bark source - Northen Illinois

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 14:51

Northern OH (Columbia Station) work? Robert's Flower Supply. More expensive than Oak Hill, which is where I used to get it, too.

Robert's: (440) 236-5571

o

I've ordered from Roberts for small amounts to test the product - shipping was fast, product was good. This was long before I was using bark in other mixes and before I had 800 indoor plants, so I didn't need that much. I haven't tried ordering the 2 CF bag on their site - figured shipping was exorbitant. But, it's worth contacting them to find out.

I wouldn't drive there unless I was getting a truck full....and I neither have a truck or need that much! I think the new Oak Hill is actually closer to me in any case, if I were to drive. I haven't asked them if they ship, either.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 16:32

Check their show schedule. When I last talked to Bob, he said he'd bring as much as I wanted to their Midland, MI show, just a stone's throw from me - that way you'd save shipping. If you call, I'm sure he'd tell you what venue on their schedule you're nearest.

Al

o

Pine barks ( at various sizes from crushed, small, medium, to large) traditionally are packed and sold for mulching in landscaping line. Consequently, the nurseries would not want to stock them up in the middle of winter. I managed to find some here from local Lowes. But I am pretty sure by the spring approaching HD and others will have loads of them. I paid about $4.00 for a 1.5cu-ft bag. Not bad. I will be using about 50 gals. of mix . With a total of 6 cu-ft of barks I am all set. Just need a bale of peat.

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 21:56

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here