Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aysling

Newbie Gardener! (Indoor Container)

Aysling
10 years ago

I've had a few strawberry plants before, but I've never put any time or research into gardening, and my results have been less than spectacular. I've never had the space for any kind of garden before, but with our current larger living space I decided to give indoor container gardening a try.

I'm starting with 20 plants (including the strawberries!), just under 40 square feet. I've read a few books and most suggest starting with under 50 square feet.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get answers to all of my questions, which is why I opened an account here!

1) If I'm growing indoors, I should be able to harvest any plant year round, as long as I can provide the correct temperature, sunlight and nutrients, correct?

2) I've been using SmartGardener to help plan my garden and it gives a temperature range for most plants, eg. carrots with a outdoor growing temp of 45- 75 F. Should I try to keep their temperature at 60 degrees? Are there any plants that need a range of temperatures in order to grow properly?

3) Final question: how can I provide separate temperatures within the same room? Would heating and cooling mats be sufficient? Since it's currently winter, could I place the cool temp plants closer to the window, partially close the vent, and put greenhouse-type covers on the warmer plants?

I'm trying to keep the overall garden as cost-effective as possible, especially this first season, and I'm not afraid of a little DIY to make that happen! I'm already planning on making my own planters and light fixtures.

Comments (2)