Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garbage Bag Potatoes

Posted by CharlieBoring 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 9:46

Has anyone tried growing potatoes in a garbage bag (on internet)? I am considering it for this spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garbage Bag Potatoes

I did this past year. It actually turned out pretty well. Basically I started with one of those 30 gallon bags, put in about two cubic feet of soil, leaves, compost, etc. I planted about 4 or 5 eyes. To keep the bag from 'flattening out' over time, I made a cylinder of chicken wire and wrapped it.
As the plant grew, I unrolled the bag more and added dirt. Towards the end of the summer when the plants seemed to "less vigorous", I opened the first of 4 bags. I got more potatoes than I expected. Then every couple of weeks I opened up another bag for more taters.
I'm sure there is a better way of doing it than what I did. One thing I thought I did right was adding quite a bit of dried up leaves. I didn't want the soil to pack down because I wasn't sure if packed dirt would keep the taters smaller. The leaves seemed to keep the dirt light and 'fluffy'.

Anyway, garbage bags and taters are cheap... what have you got to lose by giving it a shot?

o

Skycopp:

Did you put the wire inside the bag?

o

Brits - and the Irish - are big on bag growing - do a search on Youtube and you'll find them growing potatoes in bags. Here's a link to one example - he has quite a few videos on potato bags.

Here is a link that might be useful: potato bag how-to.

o

Charlie,
I put the wire outside the bag. The only purpose of it is the help the bag stay in a standing form and not flatten out.

Good luck and post pics.

o

How is the quality of the potatoes when you grow them this way? I wanted to try it but was afraid of ending up with a lot of eh taters instead of a few good ones. Do they turn out as well flavored as those grown in the "traditional" way?

o

I did some research and apparently as long has you have them in good soil, plenty of sun and water, there is no difference. I grew some tomato/potato grafts in the traditional way last year that were interesting, but I was not impressed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here