Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

Al, I'm ready for some help :) Need to start a mix:)

jojosplants
14 years ago

Hi Al,

I'm ready to try your mixes!

Now, i've been reading and reading and the more I look at the more confused I get! LOL! Wow!! the posts are endless!

Now, I will try and keep this simple and spare you repeating yourself for the millionth time. LOL!

First of all... I will be planting strawberries, bare root, just got them sat. from lowes.

I have killed hundreds of these and sure hope this season is better! LOL!!

I am in Tucson, AZ. mild winters, not a lot of rain. In summer up to 110 easy in June, and strong storms (monsoons) July-sept. Still up to the 100's, but with fairly low humidity compared to the rest of the nation. We are know as the "Dry Heat".

So, which of the mixes would I need.?? My geuss would be one that holds more water.

I have not had a chance to read the thread yet on water tables and such, it's LONG! LOL! hope to today, son goes back to school, house will be quiet. :)

Second,

is there links to the mixes?

I have no idea what the reciepes are! LOL! I just find posts of bits and pieces.

Feel free to send me to any link to read!

I love learning!! and don't want you to have to type all day for me! I promise you wont hurt my feelings!! ;)

Thanks so much!

I plan to continue to read and learn, but at the moment need a push in the right direction!

JoJo

Comments (106)

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mike,
    I looked at Josh's pics! Beautiful!!

It was nice yesterday! I was out sifting, and my wild finch pair was in the tree next to me, just chattering away! They are getting fairly tame, going on 3rd year living here in my yard. I love watching them in the plants looking for bugs. :)

John deere is ordering me pine bark fines! I cant wait!! I will get it next week with the turface! Looking so forward to having better ingredients! I will use what I have until then.

I think it turned out pretty good!

I was excited to see the detail of the mix and the dime in my photo! May learn to use the camera yet! ROFL!!

Jodi,
    I'm the worst when it comes to house work!! I get off track and end up outside doing things! ROFL! Oh well.. E for effort.. LOL!

I planned on supporting the glads. We have really storng storms in the summer with our monsoons!

Well,
    I should probably get going and get some work done. Snuck out for a walk this morning... he he...

JoJo

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Very cool moss and lichen photos, Josh! I'm a rock person... I grab every stone, rock, and boulder I can get my hands on, and I use them for garden borders and to pile here and there in empty corners... design elements of an eclectic country garden! I also collect old bricks to mix in!

JoJo, when it comes to housework, I always say... if you come to see me, c'mon over... if you come to see my house, make an appointment!

There's no guarantee it'll be in any semblance of order! More likely than not, there will be computer parts and tools everywhere, books and catalogs and disks all over the place, possibly dishes in the sink, and a pile of laundry somewhere!

I've gotten to a point in my life where I know that some things are important, and some things really aren't. Taking time to stop and smell the roses is important. Dust bunnies under the furniture aren't. Priorities, you know?

Monsoons? That doesn't sound good! We have some mighty nasty thunderstorms... but no monsoons! Every once in a while, during a really bad storm, you can hear the howling freight train noise of a tornado somewhere nearby. Scary!

Oh, I love Finches! We have several pair of Goldfinches and some little blue and purple ones, and some kind of reddish little bird... they eat at my thistle feeders. And we have oodles of Hummingbirds! I guess they like the flowers we have in the gardens! All very fun to watch!

Larry made me a little toad house for the garden, too... it's just a piece of large diameter cut off pvc pipe with a roof on it, and a little doorway. The toads hide in there, though. And we also have an awesome population of Praying Mantises! I like watching those guys hunt!

I'm very glad you found your medium ingredients, JoJo! Most excellent!

I'm thinking a nap sounds good today... my back is killing me. I could possibly be back later...

Have a great afternoon, guys and gals! :-)

PS - Mike, I'm putting together an email later on... so I'll talk at ya then!

In the meantime, Hugs for Everyone! Happy Gardening!

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

I want a toad house!!! If I can't have one of those, then maybe a toad to sit in my garden...Have you seen Al's toad, frogs..They are a riot! My mother loves them..

Jodik, I can help you with the back pain..:-)

Speaking of humming birds...Would you believe I had one sucking the pollen out of my containerized potted citrus..Yup..I watch that thing fly 2 inches from my eyes..Works of beauty they are, and their cute little noise they make from their wings!

Finches...You are so lucky!! I use to breed them, and kept one that sings until the sun goes down..They are beautiful.

Jojo, unbelievable..It took you alot less time to find the ingredients than I did, especially the bark firs......BRAVO! A little effort, or alot goes along way, ha?

Josh, miss you here..

Take care everyone, and Jodik, rest up and take care of that back....:-)

Mike

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jodi,
    You, me and Mike are so much alike! WOW!! Now rocks! LOL! I've been gathering rocks for my moms yard too. :)

You described your house/ well it's mine! ROFL! and the attitude that goes with it. Its not filthy, just lived in. :)

Yes, the monsoons get a little violent from july- sept. Last year one uprooted my friends tree!

I have a river right by my house that runs rough with the storms, dry the rest of the year. (Mike, did you get the pics ;))

I'm not sure what kind of finches we have but I love them!
    I used to raise birds and will be again real soon!

Mike what kind of finches did you raise! How exciting to learn that! I had several kinds and doves, and parakeets, cockatiels.. ;) actually have a bird room in the house. empty at the moment, but will fill up in spring!

I love toads and the houses! Every spring I wait for them. Mike (hubby) calls them my extra children and yells at them/me if they jump in his way in the dark. LOL!
    He will come in and tell me to have a talk with the kids before they get stepped on. ROFL!

Mike,
    I saw the pics you are talking about! What an awsome collection/yard Al has!!

Speaking of which, where has he been?? Hope he's O.K.!!

Josh, how are you!! ?? :)

I'm so excited about finding the stuff. Maybe it has something to do with being a farm community? Still want a better grit, so still looking for that.

Well, I really need to get back to some cleaning. LOL!
    Have a great evening everyone!!

:)

JoJo

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

I was away for awhile and am getting caught up. Wow, I missed a bunch in this thread, didn't I?

JoJo, I am not sure whether it's solely the pH or if it's pH and too much water retention, but I've managed to kill a few African Violets in the gritty mix that I made with the Napa Oil Dry. I know pH is involved (it's too high), but it also seemed a bit wet to me. It took a LOT longer to dry out than the 5-1-1. I planted three baby AVs in the 5-1-1 last week and was shocked at how much more quickly I had to water than with the gritty mix (and I did screen it).

So, if I had any advice, it would be to test it if you used the Oil Dry to make sure your plants are happy before you make/use a lot of it.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

JoJo and Mike, we must all have been separated at birth... you're not gonna believe this... a long time ago, during my first marriage, we had several birds... and they had their own room! We had a Congo African Grey, a Peachfaced Lovebird, a Cockatiel, a colorful parrot that I can't remember the name of... and a pair of little Finches that my Mom gave me. They constantly laid eggs and raised a few clutches of little baby birdies.

We were forced to give them their own room because they were so noisy! That way, I could close the door if they were misbehaving. It helped keep the seed and food mess confined to one area of the house, as well.

I switched careers, and we weren't home as much... so we sold the entire flock to a woman who loved birds so much, her entire house was an aviary inside! I hated to sell them all, but I just couldn't be there enough to take care of them and give them the attention they needed. It wasn't fair to them.

My entire life, I've been involved with animals... from the time I was little and my parents raised German Shepherds, to living on a dairy farm and milking 80 head of Holsteins, to now... here we are, retiring from the world of Mollossors.

Rocks and eclectic garden ornaments are my thing... I love a cottage garden with brick and rock edging and paths...

This is a small garden area in front of the garage...
    {{gwi:1307}}

Iris and Miniature Roses with brick edging...
    {{gwi:1308}}

The Shade Garden and the path I'm working on...
    {{gwi:1309}}

Just a few examples of the garden look we're going for, and the use of brick and rocks... the path is covered with some finely shredded mulch that we got... it was the wrong kind for the garden, so we used it to cover the path. We get rocks from the pasture, the hay field, farmers fields, and we look for old bricks from building projects and ask if we can have them...

There's a landscaper in town that has a huge pile of rubbish from projects behind their greenhouse... we'll be asking if we can lighten the load and take the rocks and bricks and odd items from it when they open up in spring. Taking it to a landfill will cost them money, so I know they'll be happy to get rid of some of it!

Mike, I didn't even get around to email last night... I passed out very early! I feel like someone kicked me between the shoulder blades and pulled my hips out of their sockets! I have a chiropractor appointment this week, so that will help, although a nice therapeutic massage would feel good!

Larry usually does deep tissue massage, uses pressure points, and puts my bones in order... but he never twists my neck. He says it's the one place he's afraid to apply pressure to... just in case it's too much. But now that I'm seeing the chiropractor, he doesn't have to hurt himself trying to fix me! ;-)

I'm so lucky to have a multi-talented husband... he's so good at so much. He's even my hairdresser!

Lathyrus, I can kill an African Violet regardless what it's planted in! They simply don't like me, and no matter what I try, they commit hari kari rather than grow for me! And forget about rooting any leaf cuttings! I've never been able to get roots to form on an AV! I gave up.

JoJo, if you were closer, I'd drive over with a Jeep load of chicken grit (granite chips), but I fear you're just a little bit too far away! Al always talks about cherrystone, whatever that is... I suspect you could find a small type of crushed rock somewhere... I just haven't a clue what type of industry to look into in your area.

We have a large creek that runs through the property, here... it's smaller than a river, but larger than your average creek. When it swells with rains, it usually overflows the banks and makes crossing the bridge impossible! The culverts are almost large enough to walk through, and they frequently get clogged with uprooted trees and large branches that get pushed downstream. We have to pull them out with the tractor and tow chains!

In spring, and even in late summer, the sound of tree frogs here can be deafening at night! We have a great population of toads and frogs... and snakes, though harmless ones. Great for keeping slugs out of the gardens! The wetlands by the creek echo with breeding frogs... there's so much wildlife here, it's amazing!

Well... time for more coffee...

You know... this is really a fun thread! We should keep at least one going to converse in... it's not only fun, but I've gotten some great ideas out of it, not to mention getting a better picture of who everyone is!

Have a great morning, guys and gals!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Hey, everyone, good morning!
    Mike, you're very kind to mention my Moss! ;)
    And thanks, Jojo!

It's raining here. 52F. Perfect Fern weather.

Josh

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

""JoJo and Mike, we must all have been separated at birth..""

Jodi I was thinking along these lines last night, even told hubby when he got home, it's scary how much the 3 of us are alike! LOL!

Birds~~ You too! I really miss mine! Due to a major have to remodel, it was better for their health to find them a new home. Paint fumes and such.. We will be getting new and starting over in the spring!

I have always had animals, and worked in 3 pet shops over the years!

Oh! I love all the pictures!! It's hard to keep a garden looking that nice here! The heat is a issue. I am looking into some native flowers this year.

Your lucky to have a hubby that takes such good care of you! Mine works hard and is usually to tired at the end of the day. (Aviation sheet metal tech.) We get up at 3 am and he's working 10 hr days, 6 days a week right now.

I wake up with kinks in my back... Wish Mike lived closer. LOL!

""JoJo, if you were closer, I'd drive over with a Jeep load of chicken grit ""

I wish you did too! then we could compare jeeps and go have some fun!! LOL!!
    I drive a jeep grand wagoneer, 1984. It's my baby!!

I'm going to drive around and see what I can find for grit. I have a feeling they just dont get what i'm asking for on the phone! This is a farming/and animal town! someone has to have it! LOL!

""You know... this is really a fun thread! We should keep at least one going to converse in... it's not only fun, but I've gotten some great ideas out of it, not to mention getting a better picture of who everyone is""

It sure has been!! Couldn't agree More!!

Good Morning Josh!!

So good to see you as always!!
    I'll try and get some pictures of some logs I have that My Son and husband brought me home from a hunting trip. If I can't go, they always bring me a "present" :).

lathyrus~~ Like Jodi, I have never been able to keep a AV alive! Very delicate critters IMO.

I am not using the oil dry. I'm using NAPA floor dry. I think it's a little differnt. More stable.

""* Turface and calcined DE can be used almost interchangeably,""

I'm using the calcined DE, and Al did Adjust how I should mix the gritty if using this.

I was only going to use this in a few containers, until I can get my turface.

I do have 2 bags of turface waiting.

Thanks,
    JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Hey everyone!! I had no caffiene today, no smart pills,fell on a patch of ice,cleaned all my container plants today, painted the bathroom, gave a couple of masages, and had a pipe burst in the bathroom! Lol

I will be back, because I have more to say and respond to my great friends here after a good nights rest..

Have a great sleep and see you all tommorrow..

Mike

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Mike!
    Gosh busy day! Hope tomorrow is easier. ;)

All right friends, I have some questions.. Since Al seems to be MIA, (hope he's O.K. with all the snow and nonesens!)maybe you can help..:)

Al~~ Hope your fine and just super busy!

I hope to get my mix put together tomorrow.

Now I saw a post that Al had said to measure a gallon of the mix would be
    6 C. Bark
    6 C. Screened Turf.
    6 C. grit.

So how do you measure a gallon if not making the gritty mix? :) I'm using the ingredients, just not a 1.1.1 ratio.
    How do I know how much gypsum to add?

Al suggested I mix mine 5 bark/4 floor dry/6 granite. :) Just throw it in a 5 gallon bucket and use that to measure?

Does anyone add bonemeal? I have always used it in my garden. Thought I read it could be added to Als mix.
    (I need to start saving when I find stuff! LOL! )

Also read where someone was anxious to plant and didn't let it sit for awhile first. Anyone know what this means? I don't recall reading where it had to sit for awhile before using.

And last,
    I wanted to soak it before putting in my plants. Do I add the gypsum before or after. It seems if before, it would just wash out.

Thanks guys!
    This has been an awsome learning thread, both for the mix and new things about my friends. :)

Hugs!
    JoJo

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

So how do you measure a gallon if not making the gritty mix? :) I'm using the ingredients, just not a 1.1.1 ratio.
    How do I know how much gypsum to add?

Work with 'parts'. It does not matter if a part is a 5 gallon bucket or a teaspoon. It all works out in the end. Use any unit of measurement you wish and pay no attention to the amount, just the 'parts'. If you wanted to make the gritty mix with a 1-1-1 part ratio you would use a teaspoon of each or a 5 gallon bucket of each or a wheelbarrow of each.

Gypsum isn't magic stuff and it isn't going to affect pH much if at all and it's incredibly non soluble so really, you almost can't overdo it. It is one of those things where I would encourage you to err on the side of overdoing it. Does anyone add bonemeal? I have always used it in my garden.

While it can be helpful over the years in the garden, it's pointless in containers as it's just ground up bones and they take years to further decompose and release nutrients. In container culture they get washed away as fast as they can make themselves of benefit. It is kind of sad that the bones of a once living creature are so useless in a container, but life isn't particularly kind or fair, is it? Also read where someone was anxious to plant and didn't let it sit for awhile first. Anyone know what this means? I don't recall reading where it had to sit for awhile before using.

I *think* you are thinking of lime and not bonemeal. If you wish to wait upon bonemeal you won't be sitting idle for weeks, but years ;) Lime on the other hand can take a couple weeks to react with the ingredients in the potting mix and then the residual amount is available to plants instead of getting hogged by the media. It's not critical to add lime and wait a couple weeks. It is a good practice, but not 100% necessary.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Ok Jojo,

I had a momment of energy..

Remember that "lime" is used in the 5.1.1. mix
    and the "gypsum" is for the 1.1.1 mix.. Moment over..:-)

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

Jojo, I'm not sure which 'cus the bag is not here; I have whatever Napa product that was recommended on GW - a calcined DE product. I really find it holds a LOT of water. With the 5:1:1, I have to water my AVs every other day. I didn't have to water more than once every 5-7 days with the gritty made with the Floor Dry.

AVs are just a bit tricky...but one of these mixes should take care of the issue for most of us. Most people kill them by over-watering. They just have a very narrow range of "wet" that they like. Not dry, not wet, more like the damp sponge analogy. As long as you do that and don't overwhelm their fine roots, they really don't require much care. I grew one for several years that I never knew how to care for "correctly" (never fertilized it, gave it nasty softened water, never changed its soil, never trimmed it) yet is generously bloomed several times a year as if it was happy.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Good Morning, Everybody! Got a fresh pot of coffee on... join me, won't you?! :-)

And don't worry... I've got a commercial Bunn, so there's plenty of coffee... 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! Yes, we really do drink that much coffee!

Without it, my husband would be a murderous madman! He is severely ADD, and massive amounts of coffee with loads of sugar keep him nice and calm and even tempered! Try living with that, plus two ADD kids! What a life it's been! ;-)

We've gotten by without Ritalin, though... and I see there's a new commercial on tv about a class action lawsuit against the makers of Ritalin. We researched it years ago, and found that there were too many side effects... it's healthier to give the kids a cup of coffee or a Mt. Dew when they bounce off the walls... calms 'em right down!

Anyhoo... Al is fine, and he's super busy... but he's not missing in action. I know where to find him... JoJo, Mike... please email me for further information.

Mike, I hope today goes a little better for you... burst pipes are no fun, and I couldn't even imagine starting my day without a heaping helping of caffeine! I hope you didn't hurt yourself slipping on the ice... please be careful, as you're a necessary part of our little family, here... and we'd miss you if you were laid up with a broken bone or a torn ligament, or something! :-)

Many, many moons ago, I lived in an apartment with south facing patio doors... I had several African Violets blooming nicely on my coffee table. I still don't know how I managed to keep them all alive and flowering, because I knew very little about houseplants and indoor gardening in general. Now, I can't grow one to save my life! And I know so much more about plants and container growing! Go figure!

I probably let them dry out too much... it's the only thing I can think of. Oh well... I suppose I can live without them. ;-)

Rocks and moss and funky twisted tree limbs with lichen are all things I like, too! How about rusty metal items? Do those find a place in your gardens? Since this property used to be a working farm going way back, certain rusty metal items work their way to the surface every once in a while... I've found things like horse shoes, cow bells, hooks and snaffles, spurs, old six-shooter parts, gears, an old belt buckle, kids toy parts, marbles, etc... all while digging and planting in the gardens! I keep them all in a little pile, as a decorative aspect. Is that strange? Probably! But that's me! ;-)

When the snow melts, I'll try to get a picture of my little treasure trove!

JoJo, I couldn't locate any gypsum, so I mixed my medium without it. I use about equal parts fir bark, perlite, and granite chips. I fertilize on a weak, but constant basis, so maybe that's helping.

I'm suddenly swamped in email, and I must dig my way through it... so everyone have a great day!

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL!
    We drink close to that here too Jodi! We call it our childs lifesaver! ROFL!

My son is ADD also! Between that and my lack of sleep, I need the coffee! And my plants! the peace they bring me is priceless!

Like you, I refused to go the Ritalin way! Just couldn't bring myslef to turn my son into someone he wasn't and was concerned about side effects and long term.

It gets bumpy but we do fine and my family backs me 100%.

Yes Mike we'd sure miss you!!! Boo Boo's are not good! :)

""Rocks and moss and funky twisted tree limbs with lichen are all things I like, too! How about rusty metal items? Do those find a place in your gardens? ""

Oh you should see some of the logs and stumps I try and talk hubby into bringing home for me! I always get lame excuses like it's too heavy, wont fit in Jeep, will sink boat! Yeesh! LOL!

By the way Jodi, what kind of Jeep? ;)

And rusty! Oh yes!! I have a spot where all my old tools R.I.P. and I hang old gloves in the trees. :) I have a collection of horse shoes, some came from old mine shafts and some nuts and bolts too. All decorate my yard somewhere!!

I will get some pics as soon as I get the yard tidy! No snow, just lots of dead grass and junk on the patio due to moving it out of the house to paint. LOL! I've been dragging butt going through it to decide what to keep and bring back in. LOL!!

I found this link just this morning before reading your post! ROLF!! Gosh, we think on the same wave length too! :)

Enjoy!

Have a great day All!!

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

You guys are way to funny! Has anyone happened to mention ANTIQUE shops...God I love them. None of my furniture is modern, all hand me downs or someone elses junk!

Man my head hurts..I wish I could join in the conversation right now, but I just wanted to say hi, and say I am into collecting all the stuff you all do too..Lol. I even breed canaries at one point, over 100, and even finches..I breed green singing finches and boy can they sing. I heard Jodik had a few too. God, do we love animals or what.Just like my plants, I am never satisfied with just one, I usually find myself trying to figure ways to make more without buying the...lol

And all those tree logs, moss, and rocks..Boy do they add such character to a garden. I can't wait to collect more. It is funny, while my buddies are off swimming in some dive hole in the mountains, I am off searching the woods for unque stones or wood, while getting zapped my mosquitos the whole time...I am strange I think. But I can say I have the best looking garden of Lowell!

Oh everyone, I too can't wait to be here with you all. It is so fun, so imformative. The more I come here, the more I have affecetion for many here. Thankyou for a great time and conversation!

Sorry for the typo's, but to tired to go back it fix them..

Jojo, I can't believe how much you have learned in so short of time..Bravo!!!!!You are so intuned with the info, and so focused. I took me over a year to fully understand all, even give Al a run for his money at times..lol. But he survived my abuse, and I his wet noodle slaps and tough love for me and my plants..lol

My Boo Boo hurts, and I need to go. But I just wanted to join in while I could...Much love!

Mike

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good Morning Everyone!

Well Mike, I'm glad me and Jodi keep you laughing, but that's probably not a good thing when you have a Boo Boo on your head. ;) I sure hope it's better today!

Antiques, not mentioned yet, but will be now. ;) I have never actually been to a shop yet. Always say I want to when I pass one and forget to go back. LOL!

I do love them, but don't have alot of them. My most cherished is my china cabinet. It was brought over from Italy at the turn of the century by my Great Grandma! It now has my horse figurines in it that i have been collecting since I was 6.

I Inherited most of my grandfathers fishing tackle. A tackle box that I loved as a child and some great lures they don't make anymore. Some are about 60-70 yrs old!

And I have the horse bridal from my grandparents horses. I LOVE THAT!! :)

I had canaries, but never bred them. Greensingers are #1 on my list for spring though!! Same taste in birds. :) Finches are so dainty and soothing!

We used to hand raise our cockatiels. Took them from parents at 10 days old and we raised them. That is a labor of love and the birds become just Angels!

I'm always trying to make new plants too! ROFL! Succulents are easy and fun!

Like you Mike, as soon as we get camp set up im looking for things! ROFL! Was this way as a child too! I'll never forget the cat tail that exploded on the way home. Daddy was not happy, no one was! ROFL!! It was a ford station wagon, no trunk, so the fuzzies were all in our face!
    They told Mike that story when they learned he fished, I guess it was more of a warning. LOL! I still bring home cat tails. ;)

Mike, thank you for the sweet words.
    I love plants, and new ideas, so I have read and read till my eyes burn. Mike goes off to bed, and I stay here reading. :) It's quiet and I remember more at night than morning. :)

I've always had a flower and veggie garden. Even growing up our garden fed a family of 5. Dad had grown up on a farm. So maybe i'm a little more in touch with plants in general than most.

My dad doesn't do containers, but he was interested in what I am doing. It's nice to talk plants with him instead of cars for a change.

Yes, i'm a grease monkey! ROFL! It's O.K. dark polish on the nails hides it and garden dirt.. he he...;)(just kidding,I scrub them good.)

Al is an amazing man, and it makes learning more special. As you say, he is patient, which makes you want to contiue learning!

Well everyone, I need to get my son off to school, and get busy doing something around here. LOL!

House/or Sift... HMMM??? Sift wins! LOL ;)

Have a great day!

JoJo

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

As it's post noon... Good Afternoon, everybody!

Just a quick note today, as I'm off to get my chores done.

It's not my Jeep, JoJo... but it's the household vehicle here. It's a 1997 Sport, I think... it's not listed as a Wagoneer or a Cherokee, so I'm not sure what it is, exactly. But it's the workhorse used to haul pretty much everything, and the 4 wheel drive comes in handy.

We actually own a Ford Escort wagon. The husband is a Ford man. He hates working on the Jeep because it's an oddball and hard to get parts for. The design makes quite a bit of it hard to work on, too.

Love antiques, just can't afford most of them! There's a difference between antique and vintage, but vintage is more within my price range!

The most cherished item we have is a little Japanese netsuke that Larry's Father brought back from WWII. The most cherished item I have is a silver ladle that my Grandmother had. It's been used to much that the edge is sharp, and as kids, it was perfect for scooping out Halloween pumpkins. I don't use it any longer, but it's kept safe as a family treasure... lots of great memories.

I've got a few other items I treasure from my family... the family bible, crocheted afghans from Larry's Mom, etc... I'd love a china cabinet to display some of my items, but it'll have to wait.

Fishing... lots of great memories, there! My Dad was a huge fisherman! I was holding a fishing pole before I could hold a sippee cup! Been fishing ever since! My brother inherited my Dad's tackle, though. We each got our most treasured items before my Mom passed away. She wanted us to have the things we loved most, without any arguments. She was a smart lady!

We had a garden, too, growing up... my Dad always grew vegetables, and although I wasn't that interested then, I became interested in potted plants and perennial gardening as a young teenager. Been growing ever since! Actually, I think the seed was planted earlier, helping Grandma garden a bit, but it didn't blossom until a little later.

Yes, Al has been extremely instrumental in my success as a container gardener... his logical approach and patience have really made an impression on me. I can't tell you how much he's helped me be a better grower.

Well... that's all I have time for at the moment. I've got dogs waiting on me! Have a great one, all! Later!

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

And his demeanor and sucess at being able to help with showing respect for others is unsurpassed! And that with a stamp of approval from my Mother!

She has more respect for him than you know. In fact, she gave up on plant years ago, until she learned from his threads!

Did someone prevent him from being a part of our home because he helped hundreds, including my aged Mom???????????

Because unless he's sick, he is always reliable and ready to help when ever anyone asks...This is not like him to not be here!

Garden Webb owes him a great debt of gratitude for making this place educational, fun, lively, and making helping people to enjoy their hobbie sucessfully. Isn't that what forums are for?

More to add later....I just wanted to say Jodik, Jojo, and others, I miss him...

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jodi,
    I got your email,(pups) will write soon!

I know of the jeep you have ! Oh the fun we could have off road. :) Hubby always tells me to behave when I go places. LOL!

Well, my jeep was bought with will $$ my grandmother left me. So it is mine, but we share. :) I got it knowing it could haul the boat and large bags of bird seed and such. I used to buy 150 lbs at a time.

Mine is 4 wh. drive too. now hubby doesn't mind working on mine, being old it's easy, but parts are hard to find!!! We had to get door latches recenly from a junk yard in California!

Sounds like you have quite the collection of antiques and knick nacks. Love them!

My mom, dad, and grandfather all loved to fish. Plenty of camping trips as I was growing up! I started when I was 6.
    I also inherited my grandfathers camper that I helped him make when I was bout 10. Priceless memories!

Hubby comes from a camp/fish/hunt family.. :) So no training was needed! LOL!!
    I couldn't be with a man that didn't enjoy it. I want my son raised with it , and he is now. :)

Well, I need to run for now. Computer is acting up! GRRR!!!

Mike, all well said!

Hugs!
    JoJo

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

You, too, JoJo? The door issues on the Jeep, I mean! This one has power everything, and there are definite issues with the door lock and window motors and wiring! Larry has taken it apart and fixed it, but it took two trips to the dealer without getting fixed properly before Larry took over maintenance!

Isn't it nice to have a husband who can fix things? Mine is fabulous... and being a college educated industrial engineer really helps! We've never called a repairman or service technician for anything!

I really did have an idyllic childhood. All four of us are adopted, and we've been from coast to coast on family vacations. Two weeks every year on the Gulf in Florida, and various camping and fishing trips throughout the year. I've been to both Disneyland and Disney World, Expo '67 in Montreal, every large National Park, every tourist attraction... we were all very lucky as kids. My folks were the best! I miss my parents very much, but life, as anything else, inevitably ends. They're at peace, and they raised us into stable, logical, happy adults, with much love and affection. I think we have our priorities straight, and that's what matters.

I love collecting vintage and antique stuff... especially gardening items, sterling and amethyst jewelry, and bulbs, a few of which are antique varieties! I've lost everything, once to a fire, and once to a move in which I couldn't take everything with me... it's not things that are most important, though, it's people and memories.

People are to be loved, and things are to be used... unfortunately, in this day and age, it seems the other way around is more common...

Have a great day, everybody!

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Jodi~ you did it again! LOL! Amethyst! My favorite!! I love purple, would rather have that than diamonds! It's also hubby's (mike) birthstone! My son's color is lavender for birthstone, my next fav. :)

One of my birthstones (have 3) is Turquoise, which I love, goes with my love of horses and southwest. My first real piece of jewlry as a little girl was a turq. bracelet. Well my grandma got a new wedding ring, after 40 some years her original was worn out, and it is turq. I now have it. :) I cherish that one piece of jewlry.

My hubby is a Jack of all, master of none..LOL! Self taught. We have never had a car in the shop. And daddy is a mechanic, so we have back up! ROFL!

Right now he plays with planes for a living..;) Aviation sheet metal tech.

I went to Ace hardware today. Couldn't find the 10 mesh Al was talking about, but did find hardware cloth that is 8 squares to the inch. So it should work pretty good. I also have 1/4 square and bug screen. Im ready to sift anything. LOL!

I need to get it done! I've had a back ache for a week now and Mike hasn't stopped by for my massage yet. LOL!

I got a blue berry bush today! and some mint. :) Love the mint! Cant eat blue berry's , that's for hubby. :)

Next month we are going to pick up some more citrus and a few other fruit trees.

Need to run for now.

Have a great evening evening!
    JoJo

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

Jodi, thanks for passing on that all is OK with Al; I missed it the first time through and was re-reading the thread to see if I could figure out what was up.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Good morning, Everyone! I've got another early date with the kennel, so I need to be brief... well, as brief as a pot of coffee will allow!

No problem, lathyrus... people have been asking, and I thought it was prudent to let everyone know he's fine. Feel free to email me for more info, if you like.

JoJo, I planted two kinds of perennial mint in the gardens a few years ago, and now... I can't get rid of the stuff! It's invasive as all get-out, and it spreads through shallow runners... everywhere! It's the one plant, besides the Anise Hyssop, that I'm trying to get rid of! Be wary of perennial mints! :-)

Morning Glory is another plant I've been pulling out by the arm loads every spring! Before we put in the climbing roses and Clematis, we used some pretty annual Morning Glory varieties as a fence cover... they were very successful at setting seed, and the resulting volunteer seedlings are everywhere! They twine around everything, making it difficult for some other plants to grow as they should! I suppose it's a sign that we're doing something right... having all these invasive plants doing so well... but it really is a pain in the backside!

Turquoise used to be one of my very favorite stones... I had a respectable collection of silver and turquoise, but tastes change as we get older... I sold some of my smaller pieces and bought a few other items I've always wanted... like a nice cameo. I like most precious and semiprecious gems, though silver is my metal of choice. Gold is simply not me, and it's too soft to wear on a regular basis. Every gold ring I own is out of round.

My wedding band is platinum, which is darned near indestructible! I've had it on my finger for 10 years, and it's never bent, nicked, or had anything happen to it. A little polish with toothpaste and a cloth, and it looks brand new! Larry has exquisite taste in jewelry, and the rings were his choice... he had them custom made through a gemologist friend of ours. He got a great exchange rate, too, buying them from Canada. ;-)

Making jewelry is one of my hobbies... although, lately... my eyes are beginning to fail. It makes working with the tiny findings and other items sort of tricky. I have a lighted magnifying glass, so that helps. I should look through my boxes of beads and stones, JoJo, and see if I can find some nice turquoise for you... hmmmm... I feel a small project coming on! ;-)

Turquoise in a wedding set sounds divine, actually! I love to see other stones used instead of the traditional diamond... I mean, diamonds are nice, but they're expected. In Victorian times, other stones were more commonly used for engagement rings, not just diamonds. Rubies, Emeralds, Garnets, etc... all are beautiful, and many stones are almost as hard as diamonds. Colored diamonds are ok... but I look at them as being flawed. A good diamond is clear... free of color, inclusions, and flaws... but expensive! :-)

Anyway... have a great day, All... go talk nice to your plants! ;-)

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

I have been talking to them all morning, and they're still not talking to me..lololol

Goodmorning to you too!! Morning glories, weddings, and turquoise! It reminds me of a beautiful wedding in the spring next to the ocean....:-)

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

Completely off topic, but related to what you said, JodiK, I have been noticing lately that the wedding rings/bands worn by the younger set are quite different than what is typically worn by my generation. My own wedding band is gold with diamonds, but platinum seems very popular these days and on some fingers I see highly creative designs lacking diamonds.

I like/respect that.

Personally I think the most permanent way to say 'I do' is with a big old tattoo on the a*s, but that's not everyone's cup of tea. Still, it's a lot easier to divorce and remove a ring than it is a tattoo on one's rear. Makes one think a bit more about the decision before committing to it ;)

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Oh my! Let me catch my breath! Ok... I was laughing so hard at the visual of choosing a wedding tattoo instead of rings!

Yes... tattoos are forever... at least, the ones that don't come in a cereal box are! I've got a bit of custom work, myself... no names, however! And, no... you may not see them right now! ;-)

Mike, maybe you're not using the right tone of voice... because mine talk to me! Did I say that out loud? Gosh, I wasn't supposed to let anyone know that! Darn! ;-)

Just kidding! Although... I have heard that plants respond to different types of music...

Actually, we got married in 2000, which just happened to be the "year of platinum"... I dunno...

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

And, no... you may not see them right now! ;-)

Well, if that ain't a tease... ;)

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

hahahahahahahalolol...Way to funny..:-)

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

I actually don't have many photos of my tattoos, mainly because they're custom work, and I don't want them copied. A picture might be worth a thousand words, but I don't want it turned into a thousand copies of my one-of-a-kind skin art!

I'll describe one, and you can imagine it for yourselves... it's a small piece, mostly black work, on the left side of my chest. It began as a small filigree heart, but the original artist didn't do that great of a job. Several years later, a good friend of ours, who just happens to be a tattoo artist, fixed it for me... what began as a small heart is now a heart with the wings of an angel and the tail of a devil... perfectly depicting a small part of who I am.

Each piece tells part of my story... each tattoo depicts a facet of my life, of who I am, of the things I love. Tattoos are forever, and so I've carefully chosen those aspects of my life that are the most meaningful to me for display.

When I wear long sleeves and pants, you'd never know I had any inkwork. After all, you have to be able to pass as a part of polite society every once in a while... but underneath it all, I'm a unique individual with a story all my own... one that no one else on the planet can ever copy.

I'm pierced, too... ;-)

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Boy have I missed alot!! Been very busy the past few days!

Jodi~ Thanks for the warning, but I love mint and dont mind the spread. I dry it for teas and other usese. :)

Morning glories are another love of mine! :) I plant them everywhere! LOL!

I have made some jewlry in the past too. I too still have tons of supplies. I can't wait to get the room done and get all my stuff back out to work with!

Your rings sound wonderful! My favorite is black hills gold. I am looking into getting custome rings made soon.

Mike doesn't wear one due to his work, but we are getting him one for the off time.

I am going to get a ring made with My birthstone, and Mikes and one small diamond for a tiny piece of tradition. In black hills gold.

Maybe it's the leaves?? lol.. just love it.

A project? You are so sweet!!! Hugs!! :)

Justaguy! so glad you joined in!!
    And like Jodi, about lost my coffee too! ROFL!!!(with teas in my eyes!) You are so funny!

I need the chocolate tea Al had mentioned being too good to dare spit out! ROFL!!!

I don't think a name would look good tatooed on my rear. It's flat! LOL!

Ankle or chest maybe... LOL!!!

I busted out laughing and hubby wanted to know what was so funny. He laughed too!

Jodi, it wasn't nice to tease the guys! ROFL!

I have 4 tatoos. :) and like you jodi, no pictures. One is custom, my little brother designed it for me! two sea horses to form a heart. Hearts are my favorite shape. :) After the work was done, I took the pattern home with me! I too worry it may be coppied some day, but I guess in a way, it would be a compliment.

Dolphins, a flower on my finger and an angel with 2 of my nieces names. Need to add the 3rd.

No piercings...At least not what I think you are getting at. LOL! My ears are triple pierced and one way up at the top. :) that's as brave as I get.

Jodi~ I talk to my plants . ;) But, I have one if it answeres i'm getting a new idenity and leaving the country! ROFL!!! There's a funny thread about it in cactus. I'll grab it in a bit. Mike knows the plant. ;)

Mike,
    I had a nice talk with your grapefruit! ;) he he...

Gosh everyone,
    Thanks for the much needed laughs on a very stressful day! I'll look back in tonight!

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Well my mother was at the ebach last summer and as they were laying down on the sane, they noticed two nice looking girls walk by with roses tatooted on their BUT, of all places..

My mothers friend say.."Sheesh, wouldn't it be nice if we got one on our buts like that?"
    Mom says..Listen, at our age, having a tatoo like that would look good lying down, but standing up it would look like popourri. No thanks!" They never got one..

By the way, hey everyone...Made it through another day of snowy cold weather..

I have still yet to have a cup of coffee!

Jojo, how are your mixes coming along? A talk with my grapefruit...lol

Jodik...You are way funny..I hope your skin art has copy rights! Feel free to privatley show them off to us folks in private, we won't tell..lolol

By everyone and sweet dreams tonight.....:-)

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

On the BEACH and SAND!!!! Sheesh my spelling is horrific!

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh man Mike!

Your mom is too funny! I love her!!! :)

That's an idea Jodi, we could pass pics around amongst the 4 of us in private.

The only time mine show is with a dress or shorts, a once a year occasion! LOL!

Ever forget you have the tatoo, see it out of the corner of your eye and smack it thinking it's a bug? I have! ROFL!
    My dolphins on my ankle. I woke up in the night, and saw it thinking it was a big spider! It was new, so boy did it hurt when I smacked it! ROFL!!!

Mike,
    I got some of the floordry sifted last night, but with my leg and back this past week, haven't gotten much done. Just not getting around too well. :( will get some more done tonight. I'll get it soon! will have a little time on my hands next after wed when hubby leaves.

Oh yes Mike, she(grapefruit) sang like a carnary.. he he...;)

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

I'm pretty good about remembering where my tats are, but the dog thinks they're dirt that must be cleaned off... and she'll lick my leg until I make her quit! Ew! She gets points for wanting to mother me and keep me neat and tidy, but I can do it, myself!

They do take some getting used to, though... and the healing part is no fun. I always keep them covered with a thin film of A&D ointment, no bandage.

I've got a rose on one calf, and a parrot surrounded with swirly tribal black work on the other. I've got a custom dream catcher on my left shoulder, loaded with symbolism... Larry designed it... and a Celtic rosary on my right upper arm with a crucifix and a medicine bag, a combination of my beliefs.

Would you believe I got my first ink when I was 30? I had always wanted skin art, but I just didn't know enough about it to risk walking into any shop. I'm glad I waited, and I'm glad I researched it before getting anything large done that I might have regretted.

The piercings aren't as nasty as you might suppose! I've got 6 in one ear and 4 in the other, with one high up like JoJo's... and I've got a nice amethyst in my navel. I'm the tame one in the family!

Both my boys have tongue piercings, my daughter is pierced, and Larry and the boys all sport a matching tattoo. It's a very cool mechanical spider, and they all have it placed low on the ankle. They were done when my youngest boy was 12.

Rock and a hard place parental situation sparked the family tattoo... my son really wanted one bad, and rather than having him and his buddies go at it with a needle and ink, and make a messy mistake he'd regret, we had them done professionally, and small. We took the lesser of two evils approach... it's wise to choose your battles. When Mom and Dad are loaded with ink, it's tough to say no!

Anyway... that's enough about my skin and its designs and ornamentation! What can I say? We're rude, crude, tattooed, and socially unacceptable... and we like it that way! Conforming is not in our vocabulary! ;-)

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jodi~
    I guess I should have worded it different.

I have nothing against piercings... I'm just kinda squimish about anything other than ears. They look like they would hurt. LOL!

My nieece did her nose and we tease her all the time.

I looked into getting my navel done, but chickened out! LOL!! Maybe someday. And it would have to be a heart shapped amethyst.

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

It does hurt, JoJo! But, like they say... no pain, no gain! :-)

A navel piercing takes about 6 months to heal completely. In the interim, it's very tender because that's about the level your pants sit at. I spent a long time wearing sweats with the waistband rolled down!

Like tattoos, piercings should be done by a professional. We have too many nerve endings under our skin, and if some piercings are done incorrectly, permanent damage can be the result if the piercer doesn't know his or her job.

We've been extremely lucky to travel in the circles we do... we know professional tattoo artists and piercers, and have had them come visit... and do a little work while they were visiting.

I took part of the day off yesterday, and did nothing but sleep. I needed it. Between the gloomy weather and how my body feels, I'm a wreck! I don't sleep well, I'm in constant discomfort, and yesterday was a shutdown day! I just shut down and did nothing... except a few basic chores that need to be done every day, and I did watch Star Wars... for the millionth time! I like it, though!

How we doing on that sifting, JoJo? ;-) Got a respectable pile yet? I wish I lived closer... I'd come help! It would be fun, and we'd get the job done in half the time! But, Arizona might as well be a million miles away. Too far for a casual visit.

Mike, you're funny! I totally forgot to mention how hilarious your Mom's tattoo joke was! I about choked on the picture she painted! Two older ladies getting roses tattooed on their rears... looking great while laying on beach towels... but completely distorting upon standing up!

Potpourri, indeed! Tell your Mom that was great! I laughed so hard that Larry had to hear it, too! He was like, "What? What? Tell me what's so funny!"

Hey, Mike! Does your computer show the red underlining for misspelled words when you're typing? Mine does... and it drives me nuts until I correct my mistakes! I tend to type dyslexic... everything is backwards, so I have a lot of corrections to make when typing! I should have paid more attention in typing class!

Now, they have "keyboarding" classes in schools... when I was in school, we had "typing". There were no computers. We had big old Selectric typewriters, and some didn't even have the correction tape. Boy, that really shows my age! ;-)

I hope Josh had a nice Birthday... he shares it with MLK... how cool is that?! Mine is shared with Abraham Lincoln, so that's pretty cool... as a kid, that day was a school holiday. Now they do President's Day, and the kids get ripped off a day. Although, they do have MLK Day off, so that's good.

Well... I've just about killed a pot of coffee... my cue to move on and get some email done! Then, it's on to chores... (grumble, grumble)... oh well, someone has to do them!

Have a great day, everyone! :-)

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Jodi, I think I have enough holes for now! LOL! Gosh, the one at the top of my ear was forever healing! And dummy me, put it on the side I sleep on...ROFL! That was in my younger days. ;)

I asked hubby for simple earings this christmas. have lost so much over the years! Tripple pierced, and nothing to wear! LOL!

Can't handle star wars.. lol.. just don't do alot of movies or TV period.

Sifting... well... not much of a dent..:( I've not felt too well this week, but will be working on it soon. Hubby leaves town thursday am.. and my brother is getting my son for the weekend! WOOO HOOO!!! Me time! :)

I am going to get comfy in sweats, some music, drinks, and plop in my living room and sift!!! No I am not kidding! :)

Same here Jodi as far as Mike's story goes about Mom. My mike wanted to know what was so funny, then he laughed!!

My hubby shares his birthday with Valentines day! And thinks he should get 2 presents. LOL!

My dads first grandchild/ my oldest niece was born on my dad's birthday! That was so special! And when she was, my dad being the clown that he is... Said, "This is just great, now the kids gonna get all the presents and cake from now on"

Oh, you should have seen the party we had when she hit one.
    They each got a cake, they each got tons of gifts, and we invited a few of my dads friends without him knowing! We had fun!

I know Josh got the day off of work. If I remember correctly, he's a teacher. :)

Josh, are you? if so, what grades/ subjects? :) My Aunt teaches 5th. in Texas. :)

Time for dinner!
    Have a good evening everyone!

JoJo

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Good Morning, All!

I've not been around much... I'm working on another project at the moment... so, I probably will have less time for GW than I normally give to it. The project is large, and very important to me, though... very near and dear to my heart!

JoJo, my higher ear piercing took forever to heal, too... it was on the side I sleep, like yours! Talk about discomfort! But I like it, and I'm glad I got it. I keep a white topaz stud in it, usually... much cheaper than a real diamond, but just as sparkly!

In our family, there are two June Birthdays close together, so we celebrate those with one party... and then my granddaughter has a Birthday two days after Christmas, so she kind of gets ripped off... everything all at once, and then nothing for the rest of the year.

The best surprise Birthday we ever pulled off was a 50th party for a very good friend of ours... his wife and I planned it, and we spent the week prior preparing... we got everything we needed and hid it all, spent all week cooking and prepping... he didn't suspect a thing.

We had 5 crock pots going with Italian Beef and all sorts of foods... one in the kitchen for appearances, and the rest in the basement. We hid most of the food in a garage refrigerator... and the day of the party, had everyone park up the street in the school parking lot. We set up while he was at work.

He came home from work, didn't see any cars or anything... and you could just see his face drop, like we forgot... and then he opened the door to about 70 people yelling, "Surprise!", and I thought he was gonna faint! It was awesome!

We killed about 300 jello shots in all flavors and colors, had a huge sheet cake imprinted with his photo, and the food was great and the booze was plentiful! What a party! I'll never forget that one! He probably won't either!

Well... it's chore time... and I've got a lot to do on my project... email for details, my curious friends! :-)

Talk at ya'll later!

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"""it was on the side I sleep, like yours!"""

LOL! Jodi do we ever stop being alike??? :) Mine is left side, and I am left handed. :) I wear a small fake diamond now.. had tiny gold hoop for awhile, but my comb kept catching it and pulling it out.. LOL!

Busy day today, and yes i am exhausted.

For those who don't already know...
    My darling little dog blessed me with 6 puppies last night!! Oh are they beautiful!!! I will get pics tomorrow!

And hubby came home from work today with 100lbs of turface! and 2 / 2cf bags of pine bark fines! I am so excited! ya, I know, some girls get flowers... but were a redneck family! LOL! I prefer the "stuff" to grow the flowers in! I used to call it dirt, but ummm... now I guess its stuff until it becomes gritty mix! LOL!!!

Talk to you all real soon!

Great big hugs!!

JoJo

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

Get a room, you two ;)

14 years ago

Hey, JoJo, Jodi, Mike, Nancy, and all! ;)
    Thank you for the kind birthday words! I am grateful to have such a fine online circle of Garden friends. I apologize for not responding sooner, but my computer has been down...still not up to speed, in fact. Anyhow, I had a superb birthday (another Capricorn friend and I rolled our birthdays together and had sushi and sake on Saturday). This weekend I'll have dinner with family at a local German restaurant. Should be exciting!

Also left-handed here! Or "sinister handed," as they say.

JoJo,
    you remembered correctly! Although I am only a *substitute* teacher to be accurate. I teach high school, and my degree is in English. I have a credential...but no contract yet.

Josh

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

OMG, JoJo! You're a Lefty, too?!!! We WERE separated at birth! There's no other explanation!

Congrats on the babes, JoJo! Photos, please! :-)

I've never heard it called sinister handed, though... I do everything with my left, except use scissors and eat. Although, I can eat with either hand... and they now have scissors for lefties.

"Get a room, you two ;)"

Nah... public displays are more fun! ;-)

Have a great day, everyone... I'm busy elsewhere!

14 years ago

Good morning! Well, my computer is holding at the moment, so I'm venturing a few replies while I can....

Borrowed from Wiki -
    I googled "sinister handed" and Google's first suggestion was Left-handedness - Wikipedia. ;)

"There are many colloquial terms used to refer to a left-handed person, e.g. "southpaw" or "goofy". Some are just slang or jargon words, while other references may be offensive or demeaning, either in context or in origin (e.g. the British "cack-handed"). In more technical contexts, 'sinistral' may be used in place of 'left-handed' and 'sinistrality' in place of 'left-handedness'. Both of these technical terms derive from sinestra, a Latin word meaning 'left'.[6]"

"Meanwhile, the English word sinister comes from the Latin word sinestra, which originally meant "left" but took on meanings of "evil" or "unlucky" by the Classical Latin era. Alternatively, sinister comes from the Latin word sinus meaning "pocket": a traditional Roman toga had only one pocket, located on the left side for the convenience of a right-handed wearer.[citation needed] The contemporary Italian word sinistra has both meanings of sinister and left (the masculine adjective for sinister being sinistro). The Spanish siniestra has both, too, although the 'left' meaning is less common and is usually expressed by izquierda,[11] a Basque word that made its way into Portuguese too. In Portuguese, the most common word for left-handed person, canhoto, was once used to identify the devil, and canhestro, a related word, means "clumsy" (sinistro means only "sinister"). Furthermore, in English, the expression "To have two left feet" refers to clumsiness in the domains of football or dancing."

See ya'll elsewhere....!

Josh

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

LOLOL, Justa! That's Exactly what I was going to say!

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You Guys are too funny!

My dad was giving us a hard time at bowling Sunday.. Me, Mike and mom are lefties!

Well my mom says she only had one,, so.... LOL... that leaves yours..;)

"" Nah... public displays are more fun! ;-)""

This is the only way to go! LOL!!

Josh, I love your input on us lefties! And your one too! Tool cool! :) That was some fun reading! Im going to print it and show mom.

O.K.
    I have to share my pics of the pups! just got here Tuesday night!

http://s802.photobucket.com/albums/yy307/JoJopicplace/New%20Pups/?action=view¤t=100_0175.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1311}}

{{gwi:1313}}

{{gwi:1314}}

{{gwi:1316}}

{{gwi:1318}}

{{gwi:1320}}

{{gwi:1321}}

{{gwi:1322}}

Well. I hope they show up O.K. My computer is acting up today.

I did not see the one with her tounge out when I snapped it. She was trying to clean the babies, and one moved..LOL! I think mamma was blinded by the flash.

Thanks for looking..:)

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Jojo

Those are so dang cute! Jodik, I can only imagine what your little ones looked like when they were born too..No tears now...:-(

Thankyou for posting these pics here. Goes to show me that if you can be so successful at taking care of pups like that, then you can be just as successful at taking care of citrus..:-) Remember, get yourself a male "grapefruit fruit"..hehe

Josh, great to see your computer finally give you permission to come back to the forums..You were missed.

Hi Rhizzo..:-)

Justaguy, lololol. You are too much! Good thing we're all friends, I think that Jodik and Jojo reserved a room big enough for you too.lol

Thankyou Jojo for sharing..And by the way, do I miss Al!!I am greatful that so many here have taken in alot of what he taught, and are competent enough to keep you moving in the right direction, for now. How did the sifting go?

What I would do to get my hands on some red pumice..I hate the stuff I have...But I am about to sift out my turface tonight to prep myself for a transplanting weekend sometime next month. I have all the bark I can imagine. I have an awsome source around here thank goodness.

Chow..:-)

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good Morning everyone!

Mike, sifting party was canceled here.. Did you read my emails last night,? It was canceled due to bad storm and tonado watch until 2 am! I did not get any sleep! UGH!

Still pouring now! I'm sure alot of kids will not be going to school today due to flooded washes.

Arizona has been declared a state of emergency. I half expect hubby home today.

Thanks Mike! but these are the last puppies! You know i cried when we sold the last ones!

6 of these! OH MY!!! LOL!

Male grapefruit! Your funny!! I will peek under the leaves and make sure I get a male!

Josh, I think your little computer gremlins were here yesterday! Man, Mine was being a pain!

So how about the rest of you guys, are you left handed or right handed. You know us lefties are the only ones in our right minds...He he...

Justaguy, I loved your post, and about choked on my coffee! LOL! You seem to have a way of doing that to people! ROFL! I think I read a post recently where you were going to go look for some "spitable humor" did you find any? LOL!!

I was so glad I called John Deere! They will be able to take care of my turface and bark needs!

Well, need to run for now.

Have a great day everyone!!

Hugs!
    JoJo

• bruce_f
    14 years ago

When someone refers to using "insect screen" for screening materials for mixes, what size mesh are they referring too?

I find aluminum insect screen ranging from about 12 mesh to 28 mesh at my local hardware store.

Thanks

Bruce

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

10-12 mesh is best.

Al

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!