Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itsmadmax

pine straw instead of pine bark fines?

itsmadmax
9 years ago

Dear folks
According to the 5-1-1 mix I should use pine bark fines but I am on a remote island in the Bahamas and can not find any1 that ships a few bags over.
And if they do it cost a fortune.

BUT!
Our island has the Casuarina Pine tree. And with that said, I have tons and tons of fallen straws everywhere I could rake easily.

BUT... could that be a substitute for the pine bark fines to make my soil mix with perlite and Spagnum peat?

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree leaves

Comments (12)

• itsmadmax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks
    I just found some articles and what I understand is that the older they are the better it is but it's not a 100% replacement for bark as I understand
    We try and will see what happens :)
    I am new to this all and learning from mistakes is never bad hehe

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Pine needles are not a good substitute for bark. Fine as a mulch, but not to be mixed into the potting media itself.

Josh

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

You would be better off trying to use the scales from the pine cones if possible. The drier the better.

tj

• itsmadmax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hmmm.. why do I always have plenty of suppy of things I cant use haha.

You meen the round balls that fall off. Hmmm.. (sorry I am Dutch forgive me my English)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Yes, the round balls that fall off. Just realized how small those cones really are so you might get by using them whole. How much do you need? Some bark is often lying around under pines.

tj

Edit:
    Egad, that really isn't a pine and the needles aren't even true needles. Lignin is the key to true pine bark as it slows decomposition, not sure of the lignin content in Casuarina.

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 18:48

• itsmadmax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Uhm.. 150 gallon? :D
    Lots of balls.

• hookilau
    9 years ago

Coconut husk chips might be a suitable substitute for bark fines and could very well be easier to find in your locale.

Here is a link that might be useful: coconut husk chips example

• itsmadmax
    Original Author
    9 years ago

trust me.. not available.

The stupid thing is i have a mulcher for my tractor that makes thumbnail chips. But I assume that is to big for making 5-1-1 soil :(

• BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
    9 years ago

I feel your pain on sourcing Jorgen; I haven't been able to find pine bark fines over here either (the pine bark mulches have either been to big or the cypress mulch was too shredded). I haven't tried using pine needles/straw as a bark substitute but it does sound interesting, and they do break down very slowly. And I concur with Jorgen that Coconut husk chips are not locally/nationally available generally, despite the proliferation of coconut trees that dominate much of the natural landscape. I'm not sure of the size of thumbnail chips? Maybe take a picture with a quarter included for size reference. A

As to the 5-1-1, I have not been able to find all the sources for it as mentioned but have had decent results with Florida Potting Soils Professional Grower's Mix (it is shipped here in 2 cubic ft bags for 11 dollars or so). Just have to be careful of watering with that one, but as for growing medium it is pretty good.

• halocline
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What about using ( or getting ) " Caribbean pine " bark " Pinus Caribaea L." ?

H.

• BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
    9 years ago

It is an interesting idea but the issue is the same as that of the other proposed solutions, not source/output of the fines locally. They are quite extensive in the locale nature flora but not conventionally viewed as a wood source so most left unprocessed. I haven't noticed considerable amounts of bark on the ground in our dry forests either, and as the trees are very resistant to many things there don't tend to me too many fallen/rotting logs with which to source material on an individual level. Thanks for the suggestion though, it did get me searching into that particular variety of pine. It's the main inland forest tree on my island, with the casuarina pine making up most of the beach/outland regions. Here's some info on the Caribbean Pine on my island, and the local flora.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio