Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hey Al (and experts on his mixes) - question...

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 10:36

I mentioned making some of either 5/1/1 or gritty mix for some tree seedlings.

However, for the initial germination phase, is a heavier mix better to help the seed "take"?

Or will most grow just fine in either mix from day 1?

My other question is, would a swamp-native species like baldcypress do better in a more water-retentive mix that has a PWT, since they're subject to something similar in their native environment?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hey Al (and experts on his mixes) - question...

Hello!
I think most tree seeds will grow fine in either mix. I've used both extensively for things like citrus, calocedrus, pine, oaks, osage, et cetera. I prefer using a 5-1-1 because a seedling will be re-potted within 1 - 2 years, and the 5-1-1 is more economical in that regard.

The Taxodium don't need a wet mix to flourish. Like Mangrove, they grow perfectly well in a fast-draining mix. Just keep your mix evenly moist, and when the plants are much older, you could set the container in a drip-tray if you wish. Not required, though.

Josh

o

Good point. I know in the ground Taxodium does fine in non-swamp areas.

I think a lot of "swamp" trees are dominant in swamps now because they *need* to grow in swamps so much as they *can* grow well in them, whereas most other species cannot.

o

I'm growing the following species this year (most are stratifying now if they need to be stratified):

Metasequoia glyptostroboides
Abies hollophylla
Quercus michauxii
Quercus coccinea
Acer palmatum
Aesculus flava
Taxodium distichum

There are others but I'm drawing a blank ATM, and don't feel like going downstairs to look at what seeds I bought...(it's been a LONG day).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here