Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fievel38

"calcined" clay question

fievel38 zone 6b
9 years ago

I just got a bag of safe t oil absorbent, it says calcined clay on the bag, but not sure at what temp., and my question is , is it suppose to crumble any at all with little force with a finger nail being able to break pieces apart? I soaked it and it didn't turn to mush, but I can break the pieces apart kinda easy, is this ok to use in the gritty mix or should I get the Napa floor dry, or turface?

Comments (9)

• nil13
    9 years ago

You shouldn't be able to break it up with you fingers if fired at a high temp. How long did you soak it?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

You can usually crush even Turface between the forefinger and thumb without much trouble. If a product has no other additives, like clumping agents or perfumes (as you might find in animal litter products), put a little in a plastic cup, add water, and put the cup in the freezer to freeze solid overnight. If it still retains its structure, it's ok to use.

Al

• fievel38 zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I soaked it over night but it still held its form, I was was able to break it up with my finger nail, even before soaking, and some pieces seemed harder than others, here is a link to the product if anyone know anything about this product and if it good to use...http://m.tractorsupply.com/en/store/safe-t-sorbtrade%3b-oil-to-40-lb

• fievel38 zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It does have Crystalline silica in it less than 10% listed on the bag, on the site it says 1%,

• fievel38 zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And thanks AL, I've learned ALOT from reading, hundreds of your post, lol, at least it feels like that many...sone I have to read twice to soak all the info in..its GREAT getting all this knowledge in one place, lots of good people....thanks again, and to you nel13

• the_yard_guy
    9 years ago

Hello All. Last year I experimented with various forms of diatomaceous earth (DE) and other oil absorbing products. The best product I found was Moltan OptiSorb (see attachment). This product has a slightly larger particle size than NAPA Floor Dry and, unlike some other similar products, does not break down when soaked or frozen. You can crush it with your fingers but the same is true of all similar products. Overall I found this product to be very stable.

I mixed up a small batch of screened OptiSorb and pine bark and the trees I grew in that mix did very well. The soil mix held more water than usual, and so I watered less often. This product would be good to use in hot, dry climates.

If you are looking to use an "oil absorbent" product I can recommend OptiSorb. If you use other similar products I suggest you test as Al mentioned before using it in your soil mixes.

HTH

TYG

• fievel38 zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks yard guy, I asked this kinda on another thread you answered for me as well...

• fievel38 zone 6b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What store did you purchase yours at, I can find EP minerals opti sorb ? Wonder if irs the same company.

• the_yard_guy
    9 years ago

I purchased several bags of the OptiSorb from CarQuest Auto parts. I believe O'Reily Auto parts also carries it. If you cannot find it in store, they will order it for you. Other auto parts stores in your area might carry it as well. I think EP may have bought Moltan last year. My bag says Moltan on it.

I would suggest that you buy only 1 bag of the DE and test it first, just to make sure it meets your needs and passes the soaking and freezing tests Al described.

TYG