Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queensinfo

Burpee Container Corn

queensinfo
11 years ago

I just came across this looking for something else. Anyone have experience growing this or is it "gimmicky".
I know various people have tried corn in earthtainers, but this looks like it is supposed to be suited to a regular container.
Thanks

Burpee Exclusive

And now on deck � sweet corn! Ever so tasty breakthrough bicolor variety is perfectly sized- 4-5' tall- to spend the summer on your deck, patio, or terrace, adding vertical interest as well as producing two to three delicious 7-8"-long ears per stalk. This first-ever container-ready corn is a revolution�one you can enjoy from the comfort of your patio. Simply plant 9 seeds per 24" container and get ready to harvest in about 2 months! Supersweet (Sh2).
Product Details
Spread: 12-18 inches
Height: 4-5 feet
Thinning: 6 inches
Days to Maturity: 61-63 days
Sowing Method: Direct Sow

Comments (11)

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Try it out, it could be fun! 2-3 ears of corn per stock. In a 24ich pot they say plant 9 so thats UP to 27 ears of corn per 24" container!

• l1a1rocker
    11 years ago

I ordered a packet to try them out.

• northener59
    11 years ago

Hi
    Going through the various seed suppliers for this years crop came across Burpees web site
    I tried growing corn in a container last year and it was a bust. However not to
    Be discouraged would love to try Burpees new container corn seed the problem is Burpee does not ship to Canada
    I would really like to hookup with someone in US who cld order the seed for me and ship it up to
    I would be enter ally greatful

• bomber095
    11 years ago

I have my eye on that as well. My only fear is that it would turn into a buffet line for the chipmunks and squirrels in my neighborhood

Doesnt mean I wont splurge the $6 for it

• northener59
    11 years ago

Our cottage has an abuncance of pesky squirrels as well (raid the bird feeders) however its not the squirrels that are the problem more so the deer
    I tried growing the sweet miniture corn in an earthbox last year and kipped it on the deck. The squirrels didnt bother it and the deer would not go onto the deck (had beets as well on deck) The corn came out okay but they were so small nobody were interested in them If the description on the yield turns out to be true this would be fantastic getting fresh corn in our cottage country neck of the woods is just not there and this would be a wonderfull oppportunity. There is drop off/pick up postal service just across the border in Pembina ND just for people like us who want to purchase something in the States from business in the States who do not ship to Canada. Last resort will be following up on this and will update everybody in the fall whether a successs or failaure

• mommymammal
    11 years ago

I'm thinking of trying this corn. I grew red sweet corn in a container several years ago, and it was doing well until a raccoon got into it. I'm thinking if I grow the Burpee corn in a round container and set a tall circle of chicken wire around it, I might get a few ears!

• hidesertca
    10 years ago

This corn is now getting a couple bad reviews on there website. People are complaining of poor germination.I bought these myself and planted them about a week ago and nothing has sprouted yet, so maybe the reviews are correct.

• planterjeff
    9 years ago

Can some one post an update of their own review? I saw a lot of bad reviews on Burpee and some good ones too, so you never know.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

One of the problems with corn is pollination. You need a good block of corn. I tried the "On Deck" corn and had limited success. Pollination problems from having so few stalks. Adding more just made the stalks small. The corn is great! Very good. If I were to grow it again, I would grow it in ground in 100 sq ft patches. That would be as small as I would go. If you could grow numerous containers right next to each other it might work better.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Now that is a great idea-more containers close to each other ! Now I know I'll try it next year. I didn't this year due to the poor reviews. What fun ! It will be the first ever fresh corn for me.

• rnewste
    9 years ago

You can grow corn in containers. The key is to plant mutiple containers of it in close proximity:

{{gwi:1619}}

Pollination is key to a successful crop. Close spacing helps.

Raybo