Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bazzlin

Should I place beneficial plants in or around the pots?

Stephanie Sherman
11 years ago

Hi! I'm starting a new vegetable/herb garden this year and doing everything in pots so my dogs do not eat everything again! (I just moved to a new neighborhood and I'm not allowed to put up additional fencing.) I really like the idea of planting beneficial plants to try and deter pests. My biggest struggle seems to be with aphids, ants and white flies.

I was wondering if I should be getting pots big enough to place beneficial plants in the pots or would they serve better purpose to plant them near the base of the pot?

I have read that basil and tomato plants go well together. Is it too much to try to grow them in the same pot?

I plan to plant a variety of herbs, tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, potatoes (probably in sacs) and at least one vine plant (either chayote or some other type of squash.) I have yet to buy the pots and any recommendation as to the size of pots I would need would be appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (5)

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Ants might be better controlled by use of corn meal spread around the base soil line of pots and at ground level. Some other herbs that help control pest that you can consider are Rosemary most types of Mint, Sage and some other herms are good at pest control . In the additional plant dept Marigold Geranium and again some others will be very useful for garden pest control measures as well. However, pest management will still need to be in place don't depend on this suggestion 100% of the time for all your plants and all possible pest control measures.

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Yes it will work but production will be smaller compared to conventional methods with safe use of pesticides ect..

• Stephanie Sherman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any ideas as to WHERE the plants would benefit from being planted? Thanks for the suggestions. Though, I'm looking more for an answer as to where. I usually spray off bugs or use a homemade pesticide which I plan to continue. I just liked the idea of planting a few beneficials. I have a good idea of what I need to plant, I just need to know if it would be more or less beneficial to place them in the pots with them? Thanks!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

This is what I read somewhere on web:

The root of the Marigold produces a chemical that kills nematodes as they enter the soil. If a whole area is infested, at the end of the season, turn the Marigolds under so the roots will decay in the soil. You can safely plant there again the following spring.
    I plant marigolds in the same bed.

For flying insects it may be enough to have pots of the beneficial plants in very close proximity to plants they suppose to protect (it's like hanging yellow sticky tape I would think? - hopefully they fly & land on what they prefer).

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Your welcome but in side or out side the pot is a double sided question that only you can answer.
    IMO you may want to consider inside the same pot may yield a lower harvest-able product but could protect primary goal plants from pest better. Out side the pot could lower pest protection but may also yield a more productive harvest for you.
    Why I think you might not get a solid YEAH OR NAY response from someone is to plant beneficial plants inside a pot with your primary goal growing plants or beneficial plants out side is because any harvest you may be expecting from either method is subject to your cultivating practices.