Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greenhouse 5 gallon buckets using drip system...what mix to use?

Posted by bogaat 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 6, 11 at 12:21

Lasy year, I used the promix, but it seemed to hold too much water with the large amount of peat. I am looking for something flows a little better as I want to water at least twice a day. The Fafard mix I tried seemed to do better (2B maybe?...lighter mix). Any recommendations on a custom mix specific for my scenario or maybe something from a supplier that would work well? I am interested in Al's mixes, but am not sure which would better. These containers get new mix twice a year. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greenhouse 5 gallon buckets using drip system...what mix to u

I'd go with Al's 5-1-1 mix, but with some modifications.

I'd use uncomposted bark as the base, I'd increase the amount of perlite, and I'd probably
choose a more durable ingredient like Turface to take the place of the peat.

This is just a shoot-from-the-hip brainstorming. Al would be the best man to help tailor your mix.

Josh

o

• Posted by tapla zone 5b-6a Mid-M (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 6, 11 at 15:08

Two questions:

Why do you WANT to water twice per day?

Why does the mix get changed twice each year?

Al

o

Hey Al,
Thanks for checking in. In response...
1) I am looking to water more to allow the media to not always be saturated and also for the nutrients to not build up and become toxic. I would like to be able to keep the nutrient levels consistent and allow the plants to dry up a bit. I am growing tomatoes and heard flavor is better when this occurs.
2) I am planning on two tomato plant rotations in the greenhouse...could do one, but refreshing the tom plants might be a good idea and would allow me to rotate varieties and work the seasons more efficiently.

All input is truly appreciated, Al. Thank you.

o

Thu, Jan 6, 11 at 19:22

If that's what you really want, you'll probably need to go with a rather coarse bark with the fines screened out (use everything under 1/8" for something else, mixed with coarse perlite, Haydite, or pumice in about 1/8-1/4" size.

There was a thread about a source of calcined DE around, that mentioned a store that sols a product that was quite a bit larger than Turface and more uniform - that might be worth looking into. If anyone has it saved, would they share, please. I'll see what I can find in a search.

Al

o
More info

Thu, Jan 6, 11 at 19:29

See the link below for a discussion about the relative sizes & amount usable product between different DE products.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me, click me! I'll show you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here